Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diacritics are cutoff in ScrollingLabel

In using ScrollingLabel and LabelList, I've been facing a problem getting diacritics on capital letters to render properly. A character with an circumflex, for example "Ô", will get clipped when in a scrolling label, but not a normal label. This occurs regardless of whether the string is long enough to be truncated. This behavior can also be seen on the focused item of a LabelList.

A reduced test case can be found at: Prepacked bundle)

From the test case, the code of primarily note is:

<ScrollingLabel
  translation="[100,100]"
  text="gjyÖÔÑÈgjyÖÔÑÈgjyÖÔÑÈ"
  maxWidth="300"
  height="70"
  />

From the docs this appears to be the correct way to use this element. However I may have overlooked something. Any recommendations? Perhaps this an issue with ScrollingLabel itself?

This behavior has been seen on v7.7.x and v8.0.0.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: Diacritics are cutoff in ScrollingLabel

my guess is this is a bug, something overlooked when the component was created.  Good on you reporting it with a test case, maybe even Roku Co will fix it, someday.
If you need this to work in any kind of timeframe my suggestion is build a custom component that does what you need.
aspiring
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Diacritics are cutoff in ScrollingLabel

"onebytegone" wrote:
In using ScrollingLabel and LabelList, I've been facing a problem getting diacritics on capital letters to render properly. A character with an circumflex, for example "Ô", will get clipped when in a scrolling label, but not a normal label. This occurs regardless of whether the string is long enough to be truncated. This behavior can also be seen on the focused item of a LabelList.

Issue confirmed, ticket filed.
0 Kudos