Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: Developing rich UI contents

What models of Roku have you tested it on? The slowest supported Rokus now are the 2450 and 2500, with the next-slowest being the 2700/2710/2720
0 Kudos
lokma
Visitor

I am testing on the 2710.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"belltown" wrote:
I just looked through all the channels I have installed to see which ones use roScreen. Retaliate is a game, which is perfectly suited to roScreen; CBS News uses roScreen in a limited way (their live stream uses it, but most of the channel seems to use built-in components); Roku Recommends was written using roScreen and is a perfect example of how bad a channel can look (at least on my SD TV) when you decide to move away from using the built-in components (text fonts that are too small to read in places, images that don't fit on the screen, lack of on-screen pause/play icons, etc. on the video screen, a completely black screen when the screen-saver kicks in, a non-standard navigation scheme, etc, etc); and Newsy, which also uses roScreen entirely and, unlike Roku Recommends, seems to have a sensible UI, color scheme, image layout, font size, etc., (but still doesn't implement a screen saver, and suffers from weird scrolling issues on my 2XS such as scrolling the images too fast to be of any use when the up/down keys are held).

For every one of the roScreen-based channels I have installed right now, in the past I've installed dozens of other roScreen channels, tried them out for a while then deleted them shortly thereafter as they seemed like utter garbage, sometimes from a content perspective, but often as a result of trying to implement a UI using roScreen and doing a very poor job. Sorry, 'Roku Recommends', you're gone too now.

Hmmm, yeah. I have to agree - "Roku Recommends" is a... well, it is a "floater" of an app and "Float Left Interactive" should be embarrassed about producing it. Maybe Roku Inc too, for putting their name on it - or dog forbid, paying for such err, product. The UX is miserable.

I was actually looking today for posts that discuss this R.R. and this was the one i found. The reason - i noticed on my Roku-3 it shows the "Play on Roku" poster for "Roku Recommends", like so:

It is the R.R. app when started, not PoR. Anybody else has seen this? The wrong (?) icon persists past player restart, when i believe image cache is flushed. Same account, my other players however show the purple logo "Roku Recommends" instead. Roku remote app shows the correct icon. All i can think of is that either R.R. has the wrong icon associated server-side for Roku3 players somehow (if that's possible even) or that the firmware (6.2.3672 since 9/3) has an issue.

PS. related or not - but #41922 (vanity code "rokurecommends") apparently is a private channel. It won't show in store using RokuCo's blog provided link https://channelstore.roku.com/details/4 ... recommends
0 Kudos