Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dev42
Visitor

Re: Developing rich UI contents

"belltown" wrote:
... then deleted them shortly thereafter as they seemed like utter garbage, sometimes from a content perspective, but often as a result of trying to implement a UI using roScreen and doing a very poor job.

OK. There goes me trying to publish my channel Private in its pre-beta form.

"belltown" wrote:
I'm sure there are good examples of custom-built roScreen UIs out there, but they probably took a lot of hard work, time and expertise.

*tsss* *tch*

"belltown" wrote:
rendering the movie description text, for example, too small to read without binoculars (or maybe I just need new glasses).

IF only ... is it OK to require binoculars to use my app? YES! "New glasses or binoculars" are my new demographic!

To sum up: "Presentation!" - Megamind
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"belltown" wrote:
......but they probably took a lot of hard work, time and expertise.

I'm not aware of anything worthwhile that isn't.
Just my 10 bytes.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"NewManLiving" wrote:
Don't want to be critical. But I thought it was hard to use and very unresponsive. What to you think

I thought the same thing, although I didn't sign up for a subscription, just perused some of the movie previews. Some of the qualities reminded me of the official YouTube channel, although Sling was easier to use; or the Vudu channel. They all feel to me like they weren't really designed for the Roku platform, lacking the smoothness you could get with roScreen or the consistency you'd get with the built-in components. It's like they were designed to run in a web browser and somehow ported to the Roku platform.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"belltown" wrote:
They all feel to me like they weren't really designed for the Roku platform, lacking the smoothness you could get with roScreen

This is what I can't figure out. One thing about roScreen is it can be really slick movement-wise, there's just no excuse to have stuff stuttering around, and yet a lot of these "partner" channels do just that. What are they actually building them with? I haven't seen anything that couldn't be duplicated with roScreen, so why don't they use it?
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
"Rek" wrote:
ImageCanvas is likely too slow for a whole application. You'll probably want to use roScreen.

Is this based on experience or mostly word-of-mouth?

Say this is a mostly static screen for a non-game app, with typical UI elements like text, images, buttons, checkboxes, popups and rare full-screen transitions which might be ok to be chunky. ImageCanvas sounds appropriate for that to me - in theory, but i have no experience using it. I have experience with roScreen but looking for some relief in managing a scene with limited animation. Anyone got tripped by roImageCanvas in such situation? Or know compelling reason not to use it?

My MainSqueeze channel is written using nothing but roImageCanvas (with the exception of the search screen). It's pretty responsive, but doesn't include any animation. The library screen is the least responsive, but it has a ton of text on it.

"NewManLiving" wrote:
Would be curious to know what Sling TV is using. I suspect image canvas

I haven't tried it, but based on how it looks identical to the app on other platforms, I'd suspect it's an HTML5 channel, which could very well explain bad performance.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"belltown" wrote:
In my limited experience, roImageCanvas is noticeably slower than roScreen when any kind of animation is involved (scrolling, moving doodads around the screen, etc.) However, for mainly static content it may well be appropriate (certainly a lot less work overall).

I just looked through all the channels I have installed to see which ones use roScreen. ...

How can you distinguish if something is using roScreen vs roImageCanvas?

Also, if i build my own UI widgets for roScreen, i think i will end up with scene with nodes at different zOrder... sounds like re-implementing roImageCanvas, no? (And if so, what would be a reason to think that my re-make will be any faster?)
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:

The fonts are noticeably different, but a quick way would be to set your screensaver to 1 minute, and wait to see if the screen goes black or shows an actual screensaver.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
I'd suspect it's an HTML5 channel, which could very well explain bad performance.

I was wondering about the HTML5 thing, although I didn't think the Roku was powerful enough for that. According to Anthony Wood:

we don’t use android or html – both require a lot more memory and faster CPUs than the Roku OS
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:

r2d2_bitmaps
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
My MainSqueeze channel is written using nothing but roImageCanvas (with the exception of the search screen). It's pretty responsive, but doesn't include any animation. The library screen is the least responsive, but it has a ton of text on it.

I'll have a look, thanks!
Since you had perused extensively, bonus question*: Can roImageCanvas draw anything else but images and text (i.e. lines, rectangles)?
Also the TargetRotation property - does it support arbitrary angles or only multitudes of 90?

(*) no good deed goes unpunished :twisted:
0 Kudos