Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
plugandplay
Channel Surfer

Developing a Channel

I have a Roku player and would like to create a channel, as good looking as any of the current Church channels, for my Church.

Our services are televised, HD, (and I will like to put all of their taped services on the channel. So I would be building them a Roku channel, not creating my own.

Is this something I can do via the Developers Program, or is there a different route so as to create a channel for my church.

I'd like the channel to be of the same quality at Kenneth Copeland or TBN's channels.

Thanks
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuShawnS
Channel Surfer

Re: Developing a Channel

Short answer, yes :). Just go to the Developer Site, register, and download the necessary stuff to get you started!

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
plugandplay
Channel Surfer

Thanks Shawn

I see "examples" in the zip files, can recommend which examples I should look at/could use to help?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

While a large number of churches use the videoplayer example, I would recommend trying to learn how to do the programming yourself and create a channel from scratch in order to create a superior experience for your users. I would also recommend taking a look at the mrsstemplate example as it is superior in many ways to the videoplayer example.

Be sure to read the Artwork Guidelines and Design Guidlines .pdf files, and if you really want to create a nice looking channel, engage the services of a graphic artist. Information on artwork sizes can be found in the Component Reference, and also by searching this forum.

- Joel
0 Kudos
plugandplay
Channel Surfer

Thanks Joel.

I see in the Development Overview a mention of an IDE, is Netbeans for Java the best free one? I already have Notepad ++

Mike
0 Kudos
MSGreg
Visitor

There is an Eclipse plugin, but I use Notepad++. Just a few extra steps for deploying the side channel for every code iteration during development.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

I also use notepad++ (on Windows 7)

To side-load my channel I set up a file, deploy.bat, in my top-level channel directory (the directory containing the source directory and manifest file, etc.), containing:

setlocal
if exist deploy.bat (set devdir=".") else (set devdir="..")
7z u -x!deploy.bat -x!dev.zip %devdir%/dev.zip %devdir%/*
curl -s -S -F "archive=@%devdir%/dev.zip" -F "mysubmit=Replace" http://192.168.0.4/plugin_install
pause

To use this, I have 7-Zip installed to compress my channel files into a zip file (dev.zip) and curl installed to copy the zipped file to my Roku (192.168.0.4). You'll also need to ensure your PATH environment variable includes the program directories for 7z and curl (or use the full filenames).

Then in notepad++ I set up a run command:

Plugins>Plugin Manager>Show Plugin Manager>check NppExec>Install
Plugins>NppExec>check Follow $(CURRENT_DIRECTORY)
Run>Run...>deploy.bat>Save...>Name:Deploy; CTRL+D

Now all I have to do to deploy my development channel to my Roku from notepad++ is hit CTRl-D. This will work if I'm editing a file in the top-level channel directory (e.g. the manifest file) or any of the immediately subordinate directories (e.g. something in the source directory).

You can also set up notepad++ to perform syntax highighting of your BrightScript code:

Settings>Style Configurator ..., Language : VB/VBS, add brs as a user ext., then add in any some more user-defined keywords (by selecting Style: WORD): endif void invalid float dynamic.
0 Kudos
MSGreg
Visitor

Awesome. Thanks for that belltown. I'll echo others' praises for your contributions to these forums.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

I used to use Notepad++ with the VBScript syntax enabled for BRS files. I've since switched to Eclipse and the Eclipse plugin. Now I'm pretty much married to it for development. It has a deployment wizard that should make it easy for a beginner to sideload channels. I, personally, use a horribly complex makefile, so I can easily reference common files across projects.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
plugandplay
Channel Surfer

awesome to hear belltown. I use windows 7 and am already experienced with notepad ++, and your other suggestions (side-loading, 7-Zip , and curl ) are great to know.

Thanks
Mike
0 Kudos