Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
belltown
Roku Guru

Developer portal -- unable to upload packages

I tried uploading a new package using the Roku developer portal. The portal now has one of those stupid prove-to-me-that-you're-not-a-robot check boxes, which leads to a ridiculously long series of images that I'm supposed to click on. The more I click on the images, the more new images appear. Eventually, all the images disappear and I'm left with a message telling me to check the new images, and to click verify once there are none left. I can't get past this step; every time I click verify I get the same blank set of images and the same error message. I don't have time for this nonsense when I'm trying to get work done.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Developer portal -- unable to upload packages

Clearly you're a robot.  :mrgreen:  I'd like to know why this PITA step was added.  Were robots really a problem or was this a solution looking for a problem?  As if using the dev portal wasn't already an exercise in frustration, now we have to deal with this.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

"belltown" wrote:
I tried uploading a new package using the Roku developer portal. The portal now has one of those stupid prove-to-me-that-you're-not-a-robot check boxes, which leads to a ridiculously long series of images that I'm supposed to click on. The more I click on the images, the more new images appear. Eventually, all the images disappear and I'm left with a message telling me to check the new images, and to click verify once there are none left. I can't get past this step; every time I click verify I get the same blank set of images and the same error message. I don't have time for this nonsense when I'm trying to get work done.

Is there any chance that somebody (browser, AV, LAN, proxy, ISP) is blocking https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api2/payload/... ?
See the "headphones" icon on the bottom? - click on that and it will dictate you 5-or-so-digit code to type as alternative.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"RokuNB" wrote:
"belltown" wrote:

Is there any chance that somebody (browser, AV, LAN, proxy, ISP) is blocking https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api2/payload/... ?
See the "headphones" icon on the bottom? - click on that and it will dictate you 5-or-so-digit code to type as alternative.

I don't believe anything is being blocked. I've been able to use this feature on other sites. Much of the time I check the box and access is granted. Sometimes I have to click on a number of images to get this access. However, with the Roku site only, I always have to click on the images. Then I get another set of images to click, and another, and another, .... Eventually, all the images are removed and I get the red error message telling me to check the new images, of which there are none.
I tried clicking the headphones icon. I couldn't make out enough of the words to get past this step. They use non-English speakers with heavy accents and lots of background static.
This is the first time I've seen this "security" measure on the Roku site. Is this something they're just testing, or is this the way things are going to be from now on? Seriously, have we REALLY been having problems with robots submitting channel updates?
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

"belltown" wrote:
This is the first time I've seen this "security" measure on the Roku site. Is this something they're just testing, or is this the way things are going to be from now on? Seriously, have we REALLY been having problems with robots submitting channel updates?

I believe this is here to stay for the time being, as part of counter-measures against certain kind of "pirates" that were scripting creation of multiple "disposable" private channels for only a limited number of users each, which makes discovery and enforcement of copyright violations hard.  
It is quite possible something can be done re improving the captcha quality though.

Can you "inspect" what's going on when you see such empty captcha next time? I.e. is there a broken URL behind, js errors and such
0 Kudos