Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuChrisT
Visitor

Developer community updates!

Today we launched some key new features to improve the Roku channel development experience:

Relaunched developer.roku.com:
The dev relations team has been writing new guides and walkthroughs - all launched today. While we've had technical references over at sdkdocs.roku.com, we've been re-writing and improving the specs at https://developer.roku.com/ - it's still a work in progress since the BrightScript and SceneGraph references are being cleaned up. 

Direct Publisher - Feed based channels: 
Today we launched Direct Publisher - a free, easy-to-use web application for building fully-featured Roku channels without writing any code. It provides a solution for publishers and content creators interested in quickly bringing their content to the Roku audience without incurring development costs. Check out the channel tutorial to learn how it works: https://forums.roku.com/viewforum.php?f=100

Note: Current SDK channels can convert their channels to a Direct Publisher channel. You will need to provide a feed and content to make this happen.

SDK Developer docs on Github: 
We've re-written the majority of docs and guides to better help developers build SDK-based Roku channels. It's a mix of guides, specs, and walk-throughs. As in all Github based repositories, you can watch for changes as we update them. We always gladly accept pull requests for improvements. Note: We'll be transition the BrightScript and SceneGraph reference docs over the fall, for now they are still located on sdkdocs.roku.com - more info is located at 

Analytics dashboard: developer.roku.com/develop/platform-features/analytics-support
Your channel developer dashboard now provides built in measurement tools in addition to support for 3rd party analytics libraries. Understand what features are available and how to track performance across channels. 

In addition, crash logs are available for all channel developers in their dashboard!

We look forward to seeing new and updated channels -- Thanks for building on the Roku publishing platform!
0 Kudos
23 REPLIES 23
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Developer community updates!

"RokuChrisT" wrote:
Note: We have a new forum for Direct Publisher topics: [/spoiler:158sd0sz]

[spoiler=Custom SDK:158sd0sz]
[/spoiler:158sd0sz] Hmm, "Type: Custom SDK" - wassat?! My channels all say "Custom SDK", regardless if Brightscript or Marmaladen...
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Channel Surfer

I just tested with my PermissionsTest account, and could see the forum (as well as post to it) without issue.  Can you please upload a screenshot of the issue to Imgur or something and link it to me?

Thanks!
C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
I just tested with my PermissionsTest account, and could see the forum (as well as post to it) without issue.  

Works now, can access it. Healed by RokuChrist half an hour ago, one imagines. 
0 Kudos
RokuChrisT
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:
"RokuShawnS" wrote:
I just tested with my PermissionsTest account, and could see the forum (as well as post to it) without issue.  

Works now, can access it. Healed by RokuChrist half an hour ago, one imagines. 

Hahaha, love the GIFs - thanks for bearing with us
0 Kudos
pm2i
Visitor

hi with the new developer site when we want to add a channel we have the option to choose any of the channel store country but in the next step you will have only preferred category that Is USA before it was giving the preferred category depend of your channel store that you choosed is it normal ?
thank you
0 Kudos
Rcosta
Visitor

Way to go Roku and way to go Chris! These new tools will really help grow the Roku channel landscape. 
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB
Sony BDP-6500 up-scaling 4K Blueray DVD
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Ack!  "Manage My Channels" now groups both public and private channels together, in no discernible order.  Would it be possible to get those grouped into public and private and/or sorted by date created, like they were before?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuChrisT" wrote:
- thanks for bearing with us

Speaking of which... can we get a public issue tracker somewhere on github.com/rokudev ?

An open tracker where we (external developers) can enter issues, get responses, follow progress. Seems like a good opportunity to do it right now, given a new version of the dev.portal has been unleashed upon us and i saw today 6-7 different reports (most are in separate forum threads). 

Nothing ambitions - no big Hollywood production, mind you. Perhaps just create a new (dummy?) repository named... i don't know - "issues"? And then we can just use the "Issues" tab (aka https://github.com/rokudev/issues/issues ) to create new bugs/enhancements/reports there.

And then the rest we can figure as we go. For example i think there is a way to hide ("privatize") individual issues if they start carrying sensitive information/discussion between particular developer and the Co. Or how labels/milestones can be applied to categorize them further (firmware vs portal vs web services vs channel store vs... ) - all that can be done later to improve workflow
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

Great work guys, this is a feature long waited from all of us!

My suggestion is to have a way to change the Channel while in the Analytics page, currently we need to navigate back to select another Channel.
0 Kudos