Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kboy
Visitor

Developer Revenue????? How?

Right now, I can only see one way to earn revenue. That is making user pay for the service. I do not like that idea at all. I like the free world where user can access my channel for free. However, I need to earn revenue to support my channel. Since Roku Player does not support HMTL page, where can I get ads to display in my channel? is there any other way to earn revenue? does the signer of Roku Player ever though about this?

thank
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Visitor

Re: Developer Revenue????? How?

We don't limit what you do with your channel to monetize it. You could certainly sell ads and there's a banner provided on the screen types for just that purpose. No one's done it, but you could intersperse ads in your feeds and show them on screen. Video ads (pre-roll, etc) are possible as well though currently we don't integrate with directly with any of the ad networks and putting together a pre-roll wouldn't be seamless unless you had it burned into the video or did it with HLS.
0 Kudos
KennyJ
Roku Guru

Revision3 and TWiT do their ads in their videos as an example.
0 Kudos
kboy
Visitor

"RokuPatrick" wrote:
We don't limit what you do with your channel to monetize it. You could certainly sell ads and there's a banner provided on the screen types for just that purpose. No one's done it, but you could intersperse ads in your feeds and show them on screen. Video ads (pre-roll, etc) are possible as well though currently we don't integrate with directly with any of the ad networks and putting together a pre-roll wouldn't be seamless unless you had it burned into the video or did it with HLS.

This is a challenge for a start up channel as well as an independent developer. Until I can get million views per day, how can I get advertiser to buy ads on my channel? Interspersing ads in the feeds might be a good solution for a big company. any one know an ads network that I can use for my new channel?
0 Kudos
-LD
Visitor

"kboy" wrote:
"RokuPatrick" wrote:

This is a challenge for a start up channel as well as an independent developer. Until I can get million views per day, how can I get advertiser to buy ads on my channel? Interspersing ads in the feeds might be a good solution for a big company. any one know an ads network that I can use for my new channel?

Sooooo, you want money but don't want to work for it? You will have to build interest in your channel. That takes time, probably takes money. You won't come right out of the gates and make money, life isn't that simple. Build your content and start offering it. If and when it takes off you'll be able to get advertising.

What other method would you propose? That someone simply start paying you with your first available piece of content?
0 Kudos
kboy
Visitor

"-LD" wrote:

Sooooo, you want money but don't want to work for it? You will have to build interest in your channel. That takes time, probably takes money. You won't come right out of the gates and make money, life isn't that simple. Build your content and start offering it. If and when it takes off you'll be able to get advertising.

What other method would you propose? That someone simply start paying you with your first available piece of content?

Did you start a channel yet? do you have any clue how much it cost to host a bandwidth intensive video website? and did I say I want to get paid for not doing anything? I did not come here to get your negative reply. If you don't like my post, just go away. Don't wast my time seeking consultant from experience developer here. You don't seems to know any thing when you reply to my post. I don't need this kind of negative comment.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

"-LD" wrote:

You will have to build interest in your channel. That takes time, probably takes money. You won't come right out of the gates and make money... Build your content and start offering it. If and when it takes off you'll be able to get advertising.

Actually, this part is an honest and accurate description of how starting most any business works.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos