Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greengiant83
Visitor

Determining StreamBitrates when playing .m3u8

How do I determine what I should set the StreamBitrate to when playing a .m3u8 file? The way I understand it the .m3u8 file lists several streams at different bitrates. The roku looks at this and selects the most appropriate stream to play. If its the Roku itself making the selection on the stream, it doesn't seem possible for me to specify the correct bitrate. If I don't specify it, the videoscreen just hangs on a black screen when I play the video. The quality doesn't seem to change if specify the bitrate as 1 or 10000. The quality indicator and the amount of time it takes to "retrieve" before it starts to play does vary though.

How do I determine what to set the bitrate to?
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: Determining StreamBitrates when playing .m3u8

From section 4.5 of the Component Reference:

When using HLS, the StreamUrls and StreamQualities array should each have exactly one element. If the HLS stream has only a single bitrate stream, the StreamBitrates array should contain one element specifying that bitrate. If the stream contains more than one variant stream at multiple bitrates, the StreamBitrates array should contain one element with a value of zero.

--Mark
0 Kudos
greengiant83
Visitor

Re: Determining StreamBitrates when playing .m3u8

Thanks
0 Kudos