Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bosborne
Visitor

Determine minimum version for an app?

I just developed an app on a Roku 3 running the latest firmware, but someone in my company has an original Roku running firmware 3.1 and says the channel crashes as soon as it's launched.

Without access to an original Roku 1 (which I would presumably be able to telnet into and see the error), is there any way to determine what the minimum version I should set is? For example, it would be nice if it was indicated that certain code I'm using is only available in a certain firmware version w/o actually having to check each function I've used against the SDK notes.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Determine minimum version for an app?

The original roku series is capped out at firmware 3.1 (for now). Everything else is on v5+.
0 Kudos
bosborne
Visitor

I understand that, but I'm asking for a practical way to determine what minimum version my code is compatible with other than looking up each function call and comparing SDK notes.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Well, no.

Incompatibles are pretty much everything new in the SDK except ParseJSON and SetupBehaviorAtTopRow for roListScreen (in 3.1 firmware update released last month).

For example:
all the new Subtitle functions for roScreen
RetainBodyOnError in roURLTransfer

Also for 3.1 firmware, roURLTransfer and roScreen, you must use SetPort instead of setMessagePort - this is forward compatible with newer firmware as well. Only for those components, for the rest, use SetMessagePort.

- Joel
0 Kudos