Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NewManLiving
Visitor

Re: Detecting Keypress Release

"NewManLiving" wrote:
Huh, that's an interesting one. It could be either because of change of what "Roku by Roku" app ECP-sends has changed - or it might be a change in the firmware too. How does my "old faithful" remote app (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/remote- ... d438407178) behave with your channel? That is if you are about iOS. If both apps (mis)behave the same, we blame it on the firmware (or your channel 🙂 ). If they differ - it may be the app.

I will try yours out and see. However, the application responds as expected with all remotes and with the old ROKU app. So I do not see where the channel code is even the issue but I'll look at that again . A simple print statement reveals the extra set of commands as received when the icon is released. This is what I'm am concerned with

Nice remote app ! Works perfect, better than the remote itself - And there is no extra set of commands sent to the device. So the problem is apparently with the new Roku App. Just tested the new ROKU app again and the problem still exists.
So since only the new ROKU app is exhibiting the problem and no other app or remote, then probably is more likely the app itself
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
BradC, did you reproduce this with an IR remote or RF?

--Mark

IR remote, whatever one is in the video, the one that came with the TCL roku TV.

I'll try to reproduce it on other players later using their IR remotes, I've only noticed it on the tv so far, but that's really the main one I use so that makes sense.

I also don't have a rock solid test case, it sometimes takes me a few minutes of farting with it before this happens, and other times it's the first try. I don't know exactly the thing that makes it happen. I mostly just hit the button then aim the remote away from the tv.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

I've had it happen with a Streaming Stick remote - those are wi-fi, right?
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

I think so. I dont think there is an ir sensor on the stick.

I tried to test other remotes on my tv and the tv remote on my roku sd, but apparently they aren't compatible with each other. I didnt even know that but it makes sense.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"BradC" wrote:
I think so. I dont think there is an ir sensor on the stick. I tried to test other remotes on my tv and the tv remote on my roku sd, but apparently they aren't compatible with each other. I didnt even know that but it makes sense.

Roku sticks have no IR sensor. Their remote uses WiFiDirect somehow and if i remember all WiFiD remotes are cross-compatible (sans #34xx/MHL/CEC stick, don't ask me why). I suspect their protocol is closely related to BT remotes, while quite different from IR or ECP. Re IR, i believe each "proper" RokuTV (i.e. models #5xxx, not the Roku-ready-stick-stuck TVs) uses their manufacturer's IR code family, i.e. TCLs, Hisense's etc.

I was unable to reproduce the forever-stuck situation on Hisense RTV (IR) but suspect am lacking in hand movements/mojo. @BradC - maybe you can eventually reproduce the magic on another Roku player and thus lift suspicion away from TCL IR towards Roku-at-large?
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
...reproduce the magic on another Roku player and thus lift suspicion away from TCL IR towards Roku-at-large?

I've had it happen multiple times with a Roku Stick - do you believe me? (I didn't get a video of it, sorry!)
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
@BradC - maybe you can eventually reproduce the magic on another Roku player and thus lift suspicion away from TCL IR towards Roku-at-large?

Well roku would know if there's any oddness with that remote, but it would seem that the remote *shouldn't* matter, since the roku software just senses if it's getting a signal, if so, it says "button down" and if it doesn't for X time, it says "button release"... so based on that, it really shouldn't matter what the remote does. And this behavior really shouldn't happen.

Add to that, komag is getting the same behavior on the stick, and it seems likely there is something else happening in the software that is mucking with things. It's very possible the whole "point the remote away from the sensor" that I've been doing is just coincidental, (even though it seems real to me) and something else is the actual cause.
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

I also notice the biggest problem I have with a lost or missing key-release is with the ROKU stick. Have observed that behavior since I bought it
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"Komag" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
...reproduce the magic on another Roku player and thus lift suspicion away from TCL IR towards Roku-at-large?

I've had it happen multiple times with a Roku Stick - do you believe me? (I didn't get a video of it, sorry!)

As evidence goes, i think BradC has a more solid case and i was trying to focus on that - since there is a chance it is related to the way IR remoting works.

Yours sounded more anecdotal. You said "I've had it happen with a Streaming Stick remote" - what exactly happened, you did not say. Things sometimes happen for different reasons and we may not recollect well or be able to reproduce again. But hey, can you reproduce the same on Roku stick - get the home screen scrolling infinitely*, with WiFiD remote buttons released? If yes - that actually will be great to narrow where the issue might be, "above" handling IR - maybe upload youtube video to persuade RokuMarkn. If not, that does not mean your issue does not happen ever - but perhaps we tackle it as separate one.

(*) this seems like a really good, clean example - away from suspecting your own code - that's why i like it
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"NewManLiving" wrote:
Nice remote app ! Works perfect, better than the remote itself - And there is no extra set of commands sent to the device. So the problem is apparently with the new Roku App. Just tested the new ROKU app again and the problem still exists.
So since only the new ROKU app is exhibiting the problem and no other app or remote, then probably is more likely the app itself

NewManLiving -
since this issue is separate from the one of the physical remotes, let's continue this subtopic in a new thread here viewtopic.php?f=34&t=91674
(i copied the context and answered with my observations there)
0 Kudos