Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnmarsden
Visitor

Deprecation errors on RokuAds library

I was transitioning my Roku Ads to Scene Graph and noticed this warning in the console:

RAF 2.0215; rendering preroll pod of 1 ads
BRIGHTSCRIPT: WARNING: roImageCanvas: This component is deprecated: roku_ads_lib:/Roku_Ads.brs(3237)
BRIGHTSCRIPT: WARNING: roCaptionRenderer: This component is deprecated: roku_ads_lib:/Roku_Ads.brs(2645)
BRIGHTSCRIPT: WARNING: roVideoPlayer: This component is deprecated: roku_ads_lib:/Roku_Ads.brs(2645)

Is this something I need to worry about? I'm doing it pretty much the same way I did before which is the same way I see listed in the "FullRAFSceneGraphSample.zip" online:

adIface = Roku_Ads() 'RAF initialize
    print "Roku_Ads library version: " + adIface.getLibVersion()

adIface.setDebugOutput(true) 'for debug pupropse

'RAF content params
    adIface.setContentId(m.videoContent.contentId)
    adIface.SetContentGenre(m.videoContent.contentGenre)

'Nielsen content params
    adIface.enableNielsenDAR(true)
    adIface.setContentLength(m.videoContent.conntentLength)
    adIface.setNielsenProgramId(m.videoContent.nielsenProgramId)
    adIface.setNielsenGenre(m.videoContent.nielsenGenre)
    adIface.setNielsenAppId(m.videoContent.nielsenAppId)

'Indicates whether the default Roku backfill ad service URL 
    'should be used in case the client-configured URL fails (2 retries)
    'to return any renderable ads.
    adIface.setAdPrefs(true, 2)

' Normally, would set publisher's ad URL here.
    ' Otherwise uses default Roku ad server (with single preroll placeholder ad)
    adIface.setAdUrl(m.videoContent.adUrl) 

'Returns available ad pod(s) scheduled for rendering or invalid, if none are available.
    adPods = adIface.getAds()

playContent = true
    'render pre-roll ads
    if adPods <> invalid and adPods.count() > 0 then
        playContent = adIface.showAds(adPods)
    endif
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Deprecation errors on RokuAds library

"johnmarsden" wrote:
I was transitioning my Roku Ads to Scene Graph and noticed this warning in the console:
BRIGHTSCRIPT: WARNING: roImageCanvas: This component is deprecated: roku_ads_lib:/Roku_Ads.brs(3237)
BRIGHTSCRIPT: WARNING: roCaptionRenderer: This component is deprecated: roku_ads_lib:/Roku_Ads.brs(2645)
BRIGHTSCRIPT: WARNING: roVideoPlayer: This component is deprecated: roku_ads_lib:/Roku_Ads.brs(2645)[/code]
Is this something I need to worry about?

It's not something you need to worry about.

Roku Ads Lib may currently be internally using some UI components that are deprecated for new SDK application development,
hence the warning messages, but that should be transparent to any client application.

I'll file a bug report that those messages should not be printed from the Roku Ads Lib context in future firmware releases, but until that
time you should just ignore them.
0 Kudos