Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Demos - initTheme()

"brocker" wrote:
I basically just stole code from other projects and now it's displaying

That's actually the best way to go about learning the framework and how to customize it for your projects. Good luck with your investigations!
0 Kudos
guidamedia2
Visitor

Why do the example init the theme before displaying the screen? Can't the roAppManager be set before creating the screen?

I am centralizing all my themes to one initTheme function in the appMain file. I am not using them for each screen. Is this a bad idea?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"guidamedia2" wrote:
Why do the example init the theme before displaying the screen? Can't the roAppManager be set before creating the screen?

I am centralizing all my themes to one initTheme function in the appMain file. I am not using them for each screen. Is this a bad idea?

I've read your post several times now, and can't quite figure out what you're asking. All three of your questions seem to contradict one another. You have to initialize your theme before displaying a screen, otherwise it won't have the theme applied to it. And generally speaking, your theme should be centralized. There are very few situations where you'd want different themes for different screens.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
guidamedia2
Visitor

In the examples in the SDK, they have the initializing of the screen in a separate function. I was wondering, beside organizing code, if there is an advantage to that.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"guidamedia2" wrote:
In the examples in the SDK, they have the initializing of the screen in a separate function. I was wondering, beside organizing code, if there is an advantage to that.

Not really. It just makes it easier to manage.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos