Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atheling
Binge Watcher

Deep linking and private/uncertified channels

Jump to solution

I've done some searching and I don't see this, so I hope it is not a duplicate.

I have a private/uncertified channel that I am trying to update.

I am now getting stuck at a stage on the Roku developer control panel that wants me to define names and IDs for items that are deep linked. This seems to be a new requirement, in the past I was able to skip over this.

The issue with deep linking on my channel is I don't see a way to do it: The channel allows the user to select a PeerTube instance from a list in its settings. And then, once configured, view videos available through that instance.

While I control the list of instances the user can select from, I don't control the instances. I have no way of knowing in advance what content is there nor, if I did know, I have no control over how long it will remain there. Having no real control over content, other than blocking things advertised as not suitable for work, is the reason I have not pursued having the channel certified and released in the channel store.

So how do I bypass the deep linking check when publishing/updating an uncertified/private channel?

Or is there some way to indicate the channel supports deep linking (I do have supports_input_launch=1 in the manifest and look at the content of roInputEvent messages in my main loop. The static analysis apparently is not satisfied with this but I haven't figured out exactly why.

Or maybe there is some other category I can put the channel into that does not require deep linking support. At present it is categorized as "Web Video".

Anyway, how you you deal with deep linking for content that you have little control over?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sanity-check
Roku Guru

Re: Deep linking and private/uncertified channels

Jump to solution

If you don't go through certification then I think you can just fill in some nonsense.

I have a couple of private channels for internal beta purposes and that's worked for me, I just give it an arbitrary string for an episode deeplink and it'll let me upload/publish.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
sanity-check
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If you don't go through certification then I think you can just fill in some nonsense.

I have a couple of private channels for internal beta purposes and that's worked for me, I just give it an arbitrary string for an episode deeplink and it'll let me upload/publish.

0 Kudos
atheling
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hadn't thought about making up a nonsense deep link.

But that did give me an idea: The project that developed the software for the server instances has a video describing how the system works. And nearly all, if not all, instances link one way or another to that video (which also has a UUID).

So if I get the deep linking to work for that UUID I could put a legitimate "name" -> UUID value into Roku's deep link information for the channel.

It might not work on all instances that a user could select, but it would probably work on the large majority of them.

Thanks for giving me a possible solution!

0 Kudos