Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daverooneyca
Visitor

Custom SG Video Player Controls In-market?

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if anyone can point me to in-market channels that have used their own controls for the SceneGraph Video Player component rather than using the default UI.  Ideally, I'd like to hear any "war stories" from anyone who has done this.

Thanks!
Dave…
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
tim_beynart
Channel Surfer

Re: Custom SG Video Player Controls In-market?

Check out NBC https://channelstore.roku.com/details/68669/nbc
Also I think SyFy, Bravo, and USA  use custom controls.
We wrote custom controls and custom TrickPlay (since Roku doesn't support bif/TrickPlay outside their hideous default UI). I have personally written custom controls in SDK1 and Scenegraph, it's not that hard. The math and UX for seeking is annoying, and the performance of any kind of fancy UI is horrible on all but the latest and greatest devices.
0 Kudos
Veeta
Visitor

The tough part is that you have to rebuild some of the state machine that the video player already has.  For instance, fast-forward isn't just setting some UI chrome and telling the video node to fast-forward.  There is no `videoNode.control = "fastforward"`.  So you simulate it by pausing the video node, noting that you are in the fast-forward state while you periodically update your UI during the seek.  Now for every other possible videoNode.state change or remote button press, you have to check if you're fast forwarding and reset your state, and so on... 

An alternative is that you can provide a lot of customized visuals for the default controls. `videoNode.trickPlayBar.filledBarImageUri` for instance.

Also be aware that the publishing checklist mandates certain playback behavior such as FF steps, replay jumps, cc dialogs, so you can't stray too far from the default.
0 Kudos
daverooneyca
Visitor

Thanks Veeta & tim_beynart! I'll have a look at those channels.

We're already going to have a look at working with customizing the players attributes, but figured we'd also see if anyone is replacing the controls altogether. We do that on a number of other platforms already so, yeah, we know all about the state machine and getting the "feel" just right. 🙂

Dave...
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

With the Senegraph SDK, be aware that if your end user hits the buttons too fast it will get confused for pause/unpause, especially if you want the OK button to mirror the functionality of the play/pause button.  I haven't found any kind of fix for that.
0 Kudos
Tyler_Smith
Binge Watcher

Check out https://channelstore.roku.com/details/164003/cartoon-network
As with previous responses the biggest challenge is seeking.  Especially if your ads are SSAI.
A little bit of math and some coffee will get you where you need to go though 🙂
Tyler Smith
0 Kudos
tim_beynart
Channel Surfer

oh dude, ssai ads. The fun never stops.  🙂
0 Kudos