Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdoggy72
Visitor

Custom Channel Content

We currently have a website that hosts video libraries for sports teams. When a team logs into our site using their username and password, they have the ability to stream all of their own videos to a computer (but not those of any other client). In other words each client has a unique and private video library which is password protected.

The question I have is, can we develop a single Roku channel that would allow access to the customized content for each user based upon their login/password? Ideally the registration code for the box would be linked to the password/login that the user utilizes to sign onto our website.

Sorry about the non-technical nature of this question, just want to get this question resolved before I ask our developers to dive-in.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Re: Custom Channel Content

That sounds pretty easy to me. You could link the hardware id to the user profile, or use some calculated value stored in the registry.

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

or just use the username and password so you aren't limited to one roku.
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
bluegras
Visitor

what i would do is ask RokuKevin or RokuPatrick and they will give you a hand

bluegras
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Lots of channels work this way, by linking to a user's account on a website. Vimeo and MP3Tunes come to mind immediately. Take a look at the Device Registration and Linking document in the SDK for more details.
0 Kudos
jdoggy72
Visitor

Excellent, this is great news. Thanks for all the responses.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"bluegras" wrote:
what i would do is ask RokuKevin or RokuPatrick and they will give you a hand

Let's not abuse the Roku employees 🙂

it's great that they can and do help, but it wouldn't be fair to assume they always can or will in all cases.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos