Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Current stats on models in use?

Forked from viewtopic.php?f=34&t=86383#p489408
"TheEndless" wrote:
I don't think we forget about the Roku 2 HD and the Roku LT 2400, we just overlook them. They had the shortest lifespans of any other Roku players, so the likelihood of there being a ton of them out there is low enough that it's probably safe to overlook them.

Speaking of which, do you have recent statistics of model# usage in the wild that you can share with us?
Like from the past quarter/this year, percents of the pie (no raw numbers).

I wonder how things are - i can dig my own numbers but my sample is small and somewhat biased. The Co has the numbers for sure but likely can answer only after addressing the backlog (or never - whichever comes first).
0 Kudos
31 REPLIES 31
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Does DrawRotatedObject() have poor performance?

"EnTerr" wrote:
"TheEndless" wrote:
I don't think we forget about the Roku 2 HD and the Roku LT 2400, we just overlook them. They had the shortest lifespans of any other Roku players, so the likelihood of there being a ton of them out there is low enough that it's probably safe to overlook them.

Speaking of which, do you have recent statistics of model# usage in the wild that you can share with us?
Like from the past quarter/this year, percents of the pie (no raw numbers).

I wonder how things are - i can dig my own numbers but my sample is small and somewhat biased. The Co has the numbers for sure but likely can answer only after addressing the backlog (or never - whichever comes first).

Probably shouldn't derail this thread with this, but... Here's what I'm seeing, since Jan 1st, for one of my more popular channels. I don't know if this is indicative of all channels or not, and it's also worth noting that this one isn't available to legacy devices...
The most popular by a significant margin (as one might expect?) are the Roku 3 and the HDMI Streaming Stick...
4200X	39.17%
3500X 16.58%
3100X 8.88%
2720X 8.81%
3050X 6.97%
2710X 6.38%
5000X 4.22%
2500X 4.10%
2400X 1.12%
3000X 0.94%
2450X 0.92%
2700X 0.91%
3400X 0.81%
3420X 0.07%
4210X 0.01%
*The missing .01%, because I know you'll spot it, is from a non-Roku client during testing.

Also, from a screen resolution standpoint, I'm seeing this over that same period:
1280x720     48.11%
1920x1080 36.90%
720x480 11.19%
854x480 3.79%
*854x480 is how I record 16x9 SD, so I can gauge how many SD users are only using SD, because they most likely don't have an HDMI cable to hook it up properly.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Current stats on models in use?

"TheEndless" wrote:
Here's what I'm seeing, since Jan 1st, for one of my more popular channels. I don't know if this is indicative of all channels or not, and it's also worth noting that this one isn't available to legacy devices...
The most popular by a significant margin (as one might expect?) are the Roku 3 and the HDMI Streaming Stick...
4200X	39.17%
3500X 16.58%
3100X 8.88%
2720X 8.81%
3050X 6.97%
2710X 6.38%
5000X 4.22%
2500X 4.10%
2400X 1.12%
3000X 0.94%
2450X 0.92%
2700X 0.91%
3400X 0.81%
3420X 0.07%
4210X 0.01%
*The missing .01%, because I know you'll spot it, is from a non-Roku client during testing.

Also, from a screen resolution standpoint, I'm seeing this over that same period:
1280x720     48.11%
1920x1080 36.90%
720x480 11.19%
854x480 3.79%
*854x480 is how I record 16x9 SD, so I can gauge how many SD users are only using SD, because they most likely don't have an HDMI cable to hook it up properly.

TheEndless - thank you big time!!

So to summarize from developer's point of view (i am such a 2-bit brain, can't hold numbers in my head - in a way doing this helps me think), currently:
  • 4xxx is 39%

• 3xxx platform has 35% of the market (incl. 2400 and two flavors of sticks)

• 27xx one is 21% (incl. 2450/2500)

• 5xxx is 4%

I am pleasantly surprised because that means 75% of the non-legacy players in use have OpenGL-ES!
A bit sad to see MHL stick does not have much traction at 1% (but not surprised - i had to scour the forums to find that one person that uses a "Roku-ready" 34xx). RokuTV seems to be doing better.

The legacy players (1xxx, 20xx, 2100) in use though, do you have any intel on that?
Or does somebody else have stats on it, comparatively to the total or the newish models?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

I analyzed some data of my own, from the last three months - and here is what i get:

• 4xxx is 20% of the players in use

• 3xxx platform has 45% (incl. 2400 and 1% MHL + 14% HDMI sticks)

• 27xx one is 23% (incl. 2450/2500)

• legacy (model# < 2200) players are 10%

• 5xxx is 2%
0 Kudos
gkl
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:
I analyzed some data of my own, from the last three months - and here is what i get:

• 4xxx is 20% of the players in use

• 3xxx platform has 45% (incl. 2400 and 1% MHL + 14% HDMI sticks)

• 27xx one is 23% (incl. 2450/2500)

• legacy (model# < 2200) players are 10%

• 5xxx is 2%

Interesting. Thanks for posting.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Most interesting i think is the observation that legacy players (firmware 3) have dropped to 10%, which likely was the cut-off for RokuCo un-supporting them. It took almost two years to go down from 20-25% (my estimate from 2013-08). I am guessing that happened mostly through dilution by new sales and less by retirement.

Also i am puzzled by the difference between the % of Roku3 players in TheEndless's vs my data. He saw 39% of the post-legacy, me - 22% (20% corrected /90%). That's a pretty big difference, almost twice. His sample is bigger but mine is big enough to rule out statistics random error too. So i think one (if not both) of us has systematic bias in the sample. In other words, there is a reason why his pool has unusually high % of Roku3 or mine has untypically low % of the same.

TheEndless - can you think of a reason why the channel from which your stats are might be unusually popular on Roku-3 players? (Say maybe it shows higher in Channel Store listings of Roku3; knowing that sort order differs per player)
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Both of you should do the same measurements again, over a unique period of time, and see if your results are consistent. The power of random is great. :idea:
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
TheEndless - can you think of a reason why the channel from which your stats are might be unusually popular on Roku-3 players? (Say maybe it shows higher in Channel Store listings of Roku3; knowing that sort order differs per player)

Mine's both a video and a 2D channel, which could potentially lead to some performance issues on lower end boxes, that might steer some users away... maybe.. ? It's also had a lot of promotion that might be unevenly aimed towards the higher end boxes. Hard to say, but I'm sure the content plays a role.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
Mine's both a video and a 2D channel, which could potentially lead to some performance issues on lower end boxes, that might steer some users away... maybe.. ?

Was your data filtered per unique installs - or was the same install/device/user be counted more once if they used the channel multiple times in that time period? The latter will be prone to usage patterns affecting the distribution stats (i.e. app likely is more frequently used on boxes where it "runs better"). Mine counted only once each user/player (akin to SELECT DISTINCT or GROUP BY). And btw i am thinking it's more likely my data be tainted, i just can't put my finger on the rhyme or reason.

"Komag" wrote:
Both of you should do the same measurements again, over a unique period of time, and see if your results are consistent. The power of random is great. :idea:

Nah, not worth it. His data was for months 1-2-3-4, mine - 3-4-5; two months overlap, plus distribution does not change rapidly. A better thing will be if instead we see a 3rd data point - as in somebody else throws their numbers in the pot. Or, of course - best if the guys from the Co. share the stats, that would be ultimate answer.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
Was your data filtered per unique installs - or was the same install/device/user be counted more once if they used the channel multiple times in that time period? The latter will be prone to usage patterns affecting the distribution stats (i.e. app likely is more frequently used on boxes where it "runs better"). Mine counted only once each user/player (akin to SELECT DISTINCT or GROUP BY). And btw i am thinking it's more likely my data be tainted, i just can't put my finger on the rhyme or reason.

I filtered on "New Users" but I don't know how accurate that is.
0 Kudos