Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a New Channel, Looking For A Little Help

Hi everyone.

I just bought my Roku and plan to create my own channel.
A while back I started an iptv show website "Televised Beta" which streams out video content based around
legal hacking, modding, conferences, etc... DIY Tv shows...

Currently our content is in .flv format, I realize I need to use H.264 and will handle that.

I have a few things I'm trying to work out, one of the biggest is management.
I have hundreds and hundreds of videos and I update them fairly often, is there an easy way to update the video content avalible without
having to do a full update to the app each time? and like wise is there any tool to aid with the xml creation, as you can imagine with so many videos
the amount of xml data I'd need would be quite large.

Is there an easy way for me to insert video ads? I do have a video ad provider I was using with clipbucket.... This is really just to pay for the server storage I'll need.

So basically I'm looking to do a channel with video ads, A category for each show we have, within each show a category for each season, then listing that seasons videos of course
I would also like to add a live channel off to the side, this channel would be hosted at one of many providers like livestream, ustream, justintv,etc... They all have apps.. I would probably do livestream if I could just embed the player in some way.. idk.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I hope to make a nice channel and become a part of the community.

Thank you very much for your time, and effort
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
tensen
Visitor

Re: Creating a New Channel, Looking For A Little Help

"TheCorrosiveOne" wrote:
H
I have a few things I'm trying to work out, one of the biggest is management.
I have hundreds and hundreds of videos and I update them fairly often, is there an easy way to update the video content avalible without having to do a full update to the app each time?

If you have the xml file external on a website, you can modify that and the user will see the new content without needing to have a software update. Or at least they will see the new content when the enter the channel again. Since it should pull your .xml file only once when they enter the channel.
0 Kudos

Thanks, sounds good.

Couldn't I pull from RSS feeds? Then I could use a feed manager to handle the updates to the videos
0 Kudos
tensen
Visitor

"TheCorrosiveOne" wrote:
Thanks, sounds good.

Couldn't I pull from RSS feeds? Then I could use a feed manager to handle the updates to the videos

Aye, can do that too. As long as you have code to parse the file you want to get the data from you are fine.
0 Kudos

I'm going to look into it more, thanks.
I'll probably find an open source channel over at github and assuming it has the correct license I need to modify it, I'll just made the needed changes from there
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Take a look at the mrss example in your SDK.

Here's a link to download it directly.
https://roku.box.com/s/gzvarbhqvnr30qgsu33i
Modify the config.opml file to point to your feed.

You may have to make some modifications for it to work properly. Should work with Wordpress feeds and blip.tv.

- Joel
0 Kudos

Thanks guys...

I'm working with OpenRokn at the moment and doing well with it...
Right now I'm looking at the easiest way to insert pre-roll video ads.

I have videos working in two ways... .Both rss and via the video function.
I'm basically just modifying the manifest and the feed.xml file
0 Kudos

Sorry for the double post, didn't see any point in making a new thread.

I have a video

--> http://televisedbeta.com/roku/test.m4v that is lagging, it'll play fine at first then slow down and quite on me....
this video however
--> http://televisedbeta.com/roku/test.mp4 is very small.. only about 10mb and it plays 100%

However both videos take along time to "retrieve" and start playing.. any ideas?
I'm encoding with handbrake
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

The first video is encoded with a variable frame rate between 23.401 and 29.97 fps.
The second video is encoded with a constant frame rate of 29.97 fps.
Roku claims to support frame rates of either 23.976 or 29.97 fps. So try encoding the first video with a constant frame rate of 29.97 fps and see if it makes any difference.

Also, the audio is encoded differently: the first video with AC-3 48 kHz CBR 640 Kbps; the second video with AAC-LC 44.1 kHz VBR 220Kbps. Roku does not claim to support bit rates greater than 256 Kbps, so try encoding the audio for the first video the same way the second video was encoded.
0 Kudos

Thanks I really appreciate it, I'll try that now and see what happens
0 Kudos