Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
the7thriver
Visitor

Content Code Access (CauseFlix Statup Company)

Hello All!

My partner and I have started a company called CauseFlix which allows video content providers the ability to sell cards with a code attached. When you buy the code, you can log into the website and unlock your video content. For example, lets say you have made a new movie out of a certain dramatic play. CauseFlix allows you to sell a card with a code attached to the play goers (or whoever) so that they can log onto our site and watch the play over and over again. The site is called CauseFlix because a percentage of all proceeds from selling the content go to charity. 

We would like to partner with Roku so that buyers can also put the code into a Roku app that would unlock the content for T.V. viewing. How difficult a task is this? How much might it cost and who might we contact for further information? We are just starting out, but we are very excited to give video content providers a new outlet to distribute content in a way that is more profitable and gives back to the community. 

Thanks in advance for your help!   
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: Content Code Access (CauseFlix Statup Company)

Rather than "partnering with Roku": you would probably build (or hire someone to build) a Roku channel with the functionality you've described. (Which I believe should be quite possible)
Then once your channel is built, you'd submit to Roku for certification and addition to the publicly available channels so that anyone out there could find and add your channel to their Roku.
Hopefully this helps, cheers
aspiring
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

@the7thriver -
if we are talking basics, something to know is - if you are to get payments in Roku channels, you must use Roku's payment system and that will cost you 20% (i.e. you get 80%, which is tad higher share than 70% with Apple/Google/Amazon).

The code system you describe should be free from fees however - akin to how someone can watch Amazon video "for free" on Roku player after they has subscribed elsewhere. It's only true purchases on the platform that one is expected to cough up on
0 Kudos
the7thriver
Visitor

"joetesta" wrote:
Rather than "partnering with Roku": you would probably build (or hire someone to build) a Roku channel with the functionality you've described. (Which I believe should be quite possible)
Then once your channel is built, you'd submit to Roku for certification and addition to the publicly available channels so that anyone out there could find and add your channel to their Roku.
Hopefully this helps, cheers

Where do you think is the best place to hire someone that could develop the Roku channel I described? Thank you so much for the reply. 
0 Kudos