Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joetesta
Roku Guru

Console connection is already in use.

I don't recall this issue in the past but experienced it the past 2 days in a row.  If I don't disconnect the console in the evening before packing up the computer, then I can't reconnect to debug until after rebooting the roku.
This is on a Roku Express with firmware 7.5.1.
cheers,
Joe
aspiring
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Console connection is already in use.

I saw that once too Joe.
0 Kudos
Motorcykey
Visitor

I get this all the time in my newest version of Eclipse Neon, however, connecting through telnet in a Terminal works just fine. This never happened before when using Eclipse Juno before upgrading for Scene Graph development.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

I think this "already in use" message as a difference when 7.5 introduced the "unified"/multiplexed console. Before there was only 1 connection per port too - but secondary connections would just hang there (waiting for the first to drop) - now they get refused outright.

Seems surprising the connection does not time out after many hours, seems like it should have? Or does it magically reconnect on the next day when deploying the laptop? Also any idea if this is a later change introduced by 7.5.1?
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
 Or does it magically reconnect on the next day when deploying the laptop? Also any idea if this is a later change introduced by 7.5.1?

On my Mac, it used to "magically reconnect"(after sleeping the Mac)  in the morning until firmware 7. Now I have to reconnect, but that's it, no reboots.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I've always had reconnections from a hibernated laptop be hit or miss. I got into the habit of closing the connection when I'm done for the day a long time ago. I think it would be nice if the connection was automatically terminated after a period of inactivity so I can connect from another machine after I forget to close it on the first machine.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
Seems surprising the connection does not time out after many hours, seems like it should have?

I *thought* that was the previous behavior, I could just reconnect without rebooting the device, but this is a different device I haven't been using long with new firmware as well, and my memory of the specifics is hazy (ie i usually unplugged other rokus at night and so maybe that's why I never saw it?)
aspiring
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:
 I think it would be nice if the connection was automatically terminated after a period of inactivity so I can connect from another machine after I forget to close it on the first machine.

Yes - I thought that's what it did, or maybe used to do...?
aspiring
0 Kudos
Bushwazi
Reel Rookie

1. Restart Roku: did not fix

2. Restart Eclipse: did not fix

3. Unplug the Roku and let it sit for a minute before plugging back in: WORKED!

After number 3 I could see the logs.

0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Yeah, I get this issue once in a while, usually have to go into the Roku menu and do a Restart and that solves it. But sometimes I don't need it to work right away, and I just leave it alone, and it then works on its own a while later, such as 30 minutes (IIRC).

0 Kudos