Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coopdaddyswag
Binge Watcher

Conflicts using rsg_version=1.2 before OS 9?

I am looking to update my application to support the new `rsg_version=1.2` feature. However, I am concerned about devices that will not support this functionality, e.g. older rokus.

Has anyone had any success when using the new flag but on older devices? No errors, etc.

Would like to get the conversation started.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Conflicts using rsg_version=1.2 before OS 9?

I used the setting in my last update and didn't see any problems with v8.x devices. I did have a problem with my v9.0 device where using the setting with RAF would cause a crash, but I believe RAF has been updated to address the crash.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

When uploading a bundle with manifested rsg_version=1.2, always mark minimum OS requirement as 9.0 in dev.portal. That way the new version goes only to devices that actually support RSG 1.2 - when they get upgraded to 9.0, which may take months.

I don't want to speculate / take a guess on how rsg_version=1.2 app would behave on pre-9.0 firmware. I personally don't know how  rsg_version=1.2 would affect pre-9.0 FW, so i say "just don't do it" - there is no good reason to request a feature from the future, this ain't Python 2.7 (cue "from __future__ import print_function").

Yes - with RAF 2.5 or earlier, rOS 9.0 would break your ad-supported RSG 1.2 (that is, only for rsg_version=1.2!) app due to a fussy compiler error. The good news is that RAF 2.6 was rolled out last week and is currently at 90% penetration.
0 Kudos
RokuTomC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

To be clear, your channel will not see any performance enhancements if it uses the manifest flag on pre-9.0 firmware. There is no reason to use the flag on pre-9.0 firmware.

When uploading a channel that includes the flag, be sure to set the minimum firmware version to 9.0 through the Developer Dashboard. That way, users who have not yet received 9.0 will not receive the version of your channel that includes the flag until their device updates to 9.0. This approach eliminates any risk for pre-9.0 users, while ensuring users on 9.0 have the optimized channel experience.
0 Kudos