Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgoodwin
Visitor

Re: Channel to stream Macbook screen to TV?

Count me in too! XDS, developer, iMac with Snow Leopard 🙂
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

To be clear, this isn't mac specific. Windows (and even linux) users feel free to apply.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
tcumpston
Visitor

I have mac's and pc's in my office. I also have extensive beta testing experience for software and hardware. Please keep me in mind should you need additional testers.
(Internet:) 20M Down, 8M Up - (Router:) Airport Extreme - (Network:) Gigabit - (TV:) Sony KDL-46V5100 - (Roku2:) HD, XS (Roku3) - (Connections:) 1080P
0 Kudos
rgoodwin
Visitor

"kbenson" wrote:
To be clear, this isn't mac specific. Windows (and even linux) users feel free to apply.

Ditto. Mac's, PC's, what have you.

This suggests to me you're using a common protocol of some type then, like VNC based... ? 🙂 Then encoded...with..hmm....ffmpeg into a realtime stream and served off a feed.

Just guesses 🙂
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"rgoodwin" wrote:
"kbenson" wrote:

Ditto. Mac's, PC's, what have you.

This suggests to me you're using a common protocol of some type then, like VNC based... ? 🙂

Bingo. Specifically, this is a VNC client for Roku. For clarification, don't expect it to actually be "stream" quality. The only reason this is actually mentioned in this thread is that the OP really described a situation that didn't require streaming as much as semi-frequently updated video redirection (browsing the internet).

So, sorry if you guys were expecting streaming, please adjust your expectations accordingly. I doubt you'll get more than a few screen updates a second from this, especially in the beginning before it has some of the more swizzy RFB protocol enhancements implemented.
-- GandK Labs
0 Kudos
rgoodwin
Visitor

Yay do I win a prize? 🙂

VNC should be able to do some ok video streaming; of course generally it doesn't look wonderful but the guys that do, for example, Splashtop on the iPad/iPhone etc are getting some pretty good frame rates. I THINK it's VNC based, at least to my eyes.

Still very interested to try it out.. and of course I understand there are other "streaming" apps still out there that aren't Windows only, for other purposes.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"rgoodwin" wrote:
Yay do I win a prize? 🙂

Only if you'll take second, TheEndless guessed it after the first post. 🙂

VNC should be able to do some ok video streaming; of course generally it doesn't look wonderful but the guys that do, for example, Splashtop on the iPad/iPhone etc are getting some pretty good frame rates. I THINK it's VNC based, at least to my eyes.

Still very interested to try it out.. and of course I understand there are other "streaming" apps still out there that aren't Windows only, for other purposes.

There's various limitations with the Roku platform that make some VNC protocol features unfeasible, so we'll so how fast it gets. The goal isn't streaming though, so I'm likely to de-prioritize refresh rate if it reaches a comfortable level, if there's other more useful features left to implement.
-- GandK Labs
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"kbenson" wrote:
"rgoodwin" wrote:
Yay do I win a prize? 🙂

Only if you'll take second, TheEndless guessed it after the first post. 🙂

There's various limitations with the Roku platform that make some VNC protocol features unfeasible, so we'll so how fast it gets. The goal isn't streaming though, so I'm likely to de-prioritize refresh rate if it reaches a comfortable level, if there's other more useful features left to implement.
Looking forward to this. I'd be happy to help test when you're ready. I've got Ubuntu and Windows 7(ultravnc) vnc servers running and have been using various vnc clients and servers since around '99.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

I'm going to move this off forum (and not hijack this thread any more than I already have). If you are interested in testing, please send an email to support [at] gandklabs.com with "VNC testing" in the subject. There isn't something to test quite yet, but this way I'll have the information ready for later.
-- GandK Labs
0 Kudos
ny2la36
Visitor

I see this is a very old post question... is there any progress or solution to stream macbook screen to tv using Roku?
0 Kudos