Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fftv
Visitor

Channel "was downloaded but could not be installed"

Hello,

I have developed a private channel secured with this method viewtopic.php?f=34&t=27562&hilit=mutual+ssl and tested on my own roku.
Now users are reporting that when they add the channel, they see a message telling them that the channel "was downloaded but could not be installed".
I saw this post viewtopic.php?p=336620 suggesting that the users don't have space left, or the channel is too big... however the problem at this point seems to happen for everyone (except me so far) and the channel is about 200k which seems OK.
I searched around and not finding much else.
Does anyone have a suggestion for troubleshooting this?

Thank you!!!
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Channel "was downloaded but could not be installed"

Possible causes:

- No manifest file, or manifest file missing the following lines at the bottom:

major_version=1
minor_version=0
build_version=00001

(by the way, you should always update the build_version number before you upload a new package)

- Missing carriage return at end of manifest file: go to the bottom of the manifest and add a carriage return.

- Improperly zipped package: on Pc, open folder of your channel, select all, right click, send to zip. On mac, right click folder in finder and select "archive" or "compress". In both cases make sure to remove any system or hidden files like thumbs.db and DS_store. Make sure your user account on your mac or pc has full read/write rights to the folder and the contents in it. To remove DS_Store files on your mac, use terminal to remove the files from the command line, as opening the folder in Finder will add the DS_Store files back to the folder.

- Developer accidentally clicked the "Convert to CramFS button". Don't do that!
0 Kudos
fftv
Visitor

Thank you RokuJoel -
All of those checked out OK.
What about: developer used one developer account to package/sign the app and a different developer account to publish the app?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

That should not make any difference.

The other thing that might cause this is a corrupted or truncated package, which can happen under some circumstances. I would suggest repackaging the channel, making sure that the file you upload to owner.roku.com is the same size as the file you or your developer downloaded from the Roku device after packaging.

Joel
0 Kudos
fftv
Visitor

Thanks Joel,
Before I saw your reply, I figured it was the developer thing and repackaged it with the same developer acct that's publishing it.
After that I had 2 different users try it, it worked for one but the other is still getting the "downloaded but could not be installed" despite getting the latest packaged version.
I downloaded the package and it's the exact same size.
I don't understand...
0 Kudos
agmark
Visitor

Are you absolutely sure the user having trouble did in fact try installing the latest channel build? It can sometimes take a while for the new channel to become available. It may be possible that he installed the channel before it was actually available. Just a thought since one user was successful.
0 Kudos
fftv
Visitor

thanks agmark -
i asked and he told me that in his channel store he sees the version and build date of the latest build.

What about, the images in the manifest file don't have file extensions (.png) and / or a couple of the images in the images folder have capitalized file extensions .PNG ?

Edit: Update: looks like it was one or both of those issues. Updated the manifest to include file extensions and renamed them to lowercase png and the user can install now.
thanks for your help
0 Kudos