Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arezth
Visitor

Channel Guide

Hi Forum,

I have been working in designing a Channel Guide for ongoing and future content on our channel. I am currently using a markupgrid to show the information on the TV. Nonetheless, the problem with the markupgrid is that it has no sideways wrap, meaning that if the amount of items exceed the size of the screen it does not move everything right and left (as oppose to the upward wrap that moves all up or down uppon "up" or "down"). Is there any suggestion on how I can set this type of wrap, or emulate an animation, translation, or do you guys have a suggestion for this?

Originally I was thinking of using a set of MarkupLists as elements inside of a RowList, so I could get this behaviour.

Thank you for your time guys,
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
btpoole
Channel Surfer

Re: Channel Guide

"Arezth" wrote:
Hi Forum,

I have been working in designing a Channel Guide for ongoing and future content on our channel. I am currently using a markupgrid to show the information on the TV. Nonetheless, the problem with the markupgrid is that it has no sideways wrap, meaning that if the amount of items exceed the size of the screen it does not move everything right and left (as oppose to the upward wrap that moves all up or down uppon "up" or "down"). Is there any suggestion on how I can set this type of wrap, or emulate an animation, translation, or do you guys have a suggestion for this?

Originally I was thinking of using a set of MarkupLists as elements inside of a RowList, so I could get this behaviour.

In order to create a horizontal scroll, you have to adjust the column size. To move to the right you must shrink the columns on the left which will pull the data from off screen to on screen. To move back in the grid, those columns must be expanded back. Took forever to figure this out. It's the only way I found that would allow horizontal scrolling on a grid. Good luck.
0 Kudos
Arezth
Visitor

"btpoole" wrote:
"Arezth" wrote:
Hi Forum,

In order to create a horizontal scroll, you have to adjust the column size. To move to the right you must shrink the columns on the left which will pull the data from off screen to on screen. To move back in the grid, those columns must be expanded back. Took forever to figure this out. It's the only way I found that would allow horizontal scrolling on a grid. Good luck.

Thank you for your reply btpoole. I am applying the same so far, the only problem I see is that if I keep the right or left button it keeps on moving until I remove the click. Until then it updates and remove the columns that should't be shown. And it seems that the key event can not be caught while it is inside the grid. Do you have any suggestion for this?
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

"Arezth" wrote:
"btpoole" wrote:
"Arezth" wrote:
Hi Forum,

Thank you for your reply btpoole. I am applying the same so far, the only problem I see is that if I keep the right or left button it keeps on moving until I remove the click. Until then it updates and remove the columns that should't be shown. And it seems that the key event can not be caught while it is inside the grid. Do you have any suggestion for this?

I am not totally sure I follow. I setup observerfield that runs onfocuschange event when an itemfocus changes. I also have one for onitemselected.  When the grid has focus, the left/right/up/down is not controlled in onkey events but rather it's built into the grid itself. When scrolling left or right you need to keep track of focus location on the grid to determine if you need to expand a cell or contract a cell.  If you move focus 1 cell to the right of the last visible, you need to contract the far left cell, which in turn pulls the first cell off screen to the right into visibility. You then set focus on that item. Just the opposite if moving left. If you move left from the last cell on the left side visible, you expand the next in line unless you are at the 0 column of the grid.
0 Kudos
apadi
Visitor

Hi,

I'm using Markup Grid Control and my requirement is to scroll horizontally (along with all the rows) with fixed focus. I'm able to get the current row focused and column focused. How can I hide/show the column when scrolling left or right.  If I set floating focus the focused item moves off screen. If I set to fixed focus and jump to column then I see the grid flickering. 

'rowFocused = itemFocused \ numColumns
        'columnFocused = itemFocused MOD numColumns     

Can someone explain:
1. How can I hide/show the columns when scrolling left/right on the grid
2. Is there any solution for the grid not to flicker when jumping to the respective column
3. If I'm using floating focus how can I identify the focus is off screen.
0 Kudos