Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lock_4815162342
Channel Surfer

Channel File Size Limitations for Each Model Roku

I would like my channel to be available to as many viewers as possible.

I would like to know what the file size limitations for each Roku device. What size does my package need to be for the older devices?

I have looked through the documentation and forum but i cant seem to find that information.

Thank you very much for your help. 🙂
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: Channel File Size Limitations for Each Model Roku

I believe the maximum package size on pre-Roku 2 devices is 750K (768,000 bytes). I don't believe the SDK docs state that explicitly, although it's mentioned in the Roku Developer Blog: http://blog.roku.com/developer/2012/02/09/startup-splash-screens/. When you try to side-load a package larger than 750K to a Roku 1, you get this message: Warning: Application size limits it to Roku 2 players, Roku XDS and Roku XR. It will not work with other Roku 1 players (826131 > 768000).
0 Kudos
lock_4815162342
Channel Surfer

Thank you for your help
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

I remember i read this somewhere, so dug it up:
"Developer Guide" wrote:
Applications are limited to a maximum of 2MB in size, due the the limited amount of flash storage available. In general, since these are internet enabled applications, they tend to be much smaller and are typically < 300KB in size. Most of the space is consumed by artwork and the code size is minimal. If you find that your application is too large to install, look at removing some of the artwork from your application package and placing it on the web where it is easier to modify and it can be downloaded dynamically at runtime.

In addition, at the end there is a linked "Pre-Certification Checklist", which shamefully* is in .XLSX format. One of the checks inside vaguely says "Channels that are larger than 750kb in size may be restricted from deploying to certain legacy Roku units."

(*) How am i supposed to open this on computer with no Microsoft Office, RokuRobB? Do you know - or care - how much monkeying around it costs me to read .XLSX? Please consider using this newfangled technology called HTML.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:

(*) How am i supposed to open this on computer with no Microsoft Office, RokuRobB?

I use OpenOffice.

--Mark
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
I use OpenOffice.

I use Google Docs but it is a PITA*.
HTML <table> for the win?

(*) cleared as "not a torture" by Google legal counsel.
0 Kudos