Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Changing From roImageCanvas to roScreen questions

Probably by never drawing anything that isn't transparent on top of the video - for example, your overlays could be translucent so you could see the video through the images your are drawing. I'll see if there is any other solution.

- Joel
0 Kudos
idunno
Visitor

How do you make overlays transluscent?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

You can use Adobe Photoshop or the gIMP which is free, or another graphic editor that allows you to manipulate images in .png format.

- Joel
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

It's worth noting (just in case you are using it) that rotation in roScreen is not equivalent to rotation in roImageCanvas. Last time I checked, roScreen could only rotate by 90 degree increments.

P.S. We would *happily* write a compatibility library so you could use roScreen like roImageCanvas if rotation was fixed, as we would be doing it anyway to fix KidPaint. Really, the only thing that's kept KidPaint from being fixed from the buggy implementation that exists using multiple (many!) canvases is that the rotation we need can't be achieved through roScreen. We would actually implement rotation ourselves (albeit slowly) if we could convert both directions between bytearray and roBitmap, but that's missing as well last time I checked. In fact that's what blocked us getting a very low-end (slow) VNC client working (the TCP server that speaks the protocol is written already...).
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Since 4.5 or so firmware, you can rotate to any angle.

- Joel
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"RokuJoel" wrote:

Hmm, then I guess I have some work to do, don't I? 😉
-- GandK Labs
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"kbenson" wrote:
"RokuJoel" wrote:

I was actually testing this out the other day.. don't get your hopes up too high... 😉
Also, still limited to 90 degree rotations on the Roku 1.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
"kbenson" wrote:
"RokuJoel" wrote:

I was actually testing this out the other day.. don't get your hopes up too high... 😉
Also, still limited to 90 degree rotations on the Roku 1.

Actually, I just checked some old email, and I was notified about this. I think the lack of arbitrary rotation angles on the Roku 1 that caused me to not go forward with creating a roImageCanvas shim. So, first, sorry to Roku for shooting my mouth off about it not being supported, that's what I get for not paying attention.

Second, since I said I would work on implementing the an roImageCanvas to roScreen shim if they provided rotation, I'll at least try. 🙂
-- GandK Labs
0 Kudos
Sike1234
Visitor

Guys

I'm working on a Scene Graph project and I have to overlay a non-transparent image over video while it is playing.
I saw this example and believe it is a great place to start. Looking at the 2DVideoLayers example (note : great example )

I changed the object from roScreen to roSGScreen ... and ran into some issues.

orig = screen=createobject("roscreen",true)
new screen=createobject("roSGScreen",true)

I made some changes and did some debugging to find that I get stuck on line 119 screen.setalphaenable(true) 'enable transparency

roSGScreen does not have this method and I was wondering what the equivalent for setaplhaenable(true) might be using the roSGScreen object ?

Ran into some issues and wanted to ask someone if I'm going in the right direction.

Also trying to use roVideoPlayer instead of roVideoScreen.... and then use roImageCanvas to paint the image on top of the video.

Any suggestions / help
0 Kudos