Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lock_4815162342
Channel Surfer

Changes needed for Roku Ultra

My Channel is working well on Roku 2 and Roku 3. However, when I try to play content on Roku Ultra I can hear audio but I am getting no video. What change were made with the Roku Ultra that cause this? Does anyone know where I can find what changes I need to make to be compatible with the new hardware? Will I need to make changes for Roku Express and Roku Premiere?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I appreciate any help that you might be able to offer. 
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Changes needed for Roku Ultra

What's the display resolution set to in player's Settings?
Does it "not work" for all modes - 720/1080/4k - or just in one of them?
What firmware is the #4640 (Ultra) on?
Any specifics on the video you are playing?
0 Kudos
lock_4815162342
Channel Surfer

The display resolution is set to 1080p HD TV. This was detected by the Roku. I also checked 720p and I had the same results. 

It has been checked on a few TV's 720 and 1080 but we do not have a 4k.

The firmware is Version 7.5.1 build 4095-29.

I have tested with several mp4's and HLS streams and i get the same result. The content plays without video. I can pause it and see the progress bar and hear the audio I just can't see the video. 
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

ha. can you share a URL to such content that does not work?
alternatively, detailed media info on the stream (video/audio codecs, rates, etc...)
0 Kudos
WilDD
Roku Guru

I too am having this same issue - sound but no video. The channel works fine on the Roku 2 XS, Roku 3, and Roku 4, but not on the Roku Ultra. Any ideas on why this would happen?
0 Kudos
lock_4815162342
Channel Surfer

I think I found the cause of the issue that I was having. At the beginning of my grid display function I created a roSlideShow. I didn't show it or do anything else with it, I just created it (I don't remember why, I think I was testing out the type() function). Once I removed this code I no longer had the issue. 
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Ummm... and that will affect only an Ultra how?
I am not saying it's not possible - it just sounds unlikely
0 Kudos
WilDD
Roku Guru

This also fixed my problem. I got rid of a roSlideShow and the videos started playing on the Ultra. They played fine on other Rokus, but not on the Ultra until I got rid of the roSlideShow. It doesn't seem to make any sense, but it works. Thanks to lock_4815162342 for figuring this out.
0 Kudos