Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
evanh
Visitor

Change layout issue

Hey all, I'm having an issue that should be easier than I'm making it, I just for the life of me can't track down the right doc or right pointers to make it happen. Our roku app is being driven by an XML feed from an API. We are laying out the content in a horizontal grid / episodic layout within each category. We want to switch from the horizontal grid to a vertical list layout. We used the example video player project that Roku provides. What changes do we need to make to our XML or the Bright Script file to support the vertical list layout? The view we are after is like the netflix season1/episode1-10; where each episode is played directly from one page, with one poster image... not each episode having a poster image. (Not sure if I just confused everyone, or if that helps) Any one have any pointers?

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Change layout issue

There are no standard BrightScript template screens that support vertical lists like you describe. For something like that, you'd either need to create a custom screen using roImageCanvas or roScreen, or you'd need to switch to using the newer SceneGraph SDK, which makes custom layouts like that much easier to accomplish.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

roListScreen not even close?
0 Kudos
evanh
Visitor

roListScreen actually looks pretty usable. I'll do some research there. Thank you!
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

I used it in a Craigslist viewer (unreleased) ... worked fine for me!

Can haz image + two line descriptions per item, if i remember. And i vaguely seem to think could've also had changing background image? The info is entombed here somewhere https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc ... +Meta-Data
0 Kudos