Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmat1075
Visitor

Certification rejection based on positioning in SD. Any thoughts?

My channel got rejected because in SD, there is some positioning weirdness.  Now, I've gone though every TV and computer monitor I could find, and NONE of them do 480 resolution.  What are some ways I can test in SD? Or is there something I could do without needing to have an SD tv?
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: Certification rejection based on positioning in SD. Any thoughts?

What kind of "positioning weirdness" are they saying you're getting that isn't being acceptably handled by the autoscaling?
0 Kudos
tmat1075
Visitor

https://roku.box.com/shared/static/blqyfszzot85pv15xq0hzpeoyjc2a93o.jpg

Those are the screenshot they sent with the note "shifted UI". the bottom one should have an overhang with the logo, and other rows showing. But that's all I can go on, since I can't test myself.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

What UI resolution(s) are you targeting?
0 Kudos
tmat1075
Visitor

I guess 1080.  I've just been designing for 1080 and switching to 720 on occasion... according to their checklist:

Channel is designed in 1080p and properly functions when scaled to all available Roku supported displays: SD (when available), HD, FHD,4K.
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

Unfortunately currently the only way for external developers to test SD output seems to be buying a Roku player with composite output.

@tmat1075 - is this a scene graph app? what do you have manifested as "ui_resolutions"? - i won't be surprised if removing "sd" from there solves your problem - RSG then takes care of auto-resizing for you, just tell it with that setting whether you designed for HD or FHD. You could design for HD for smaller size of the assets but make sure the result looks good in FHD UI (test on a 4k player set to FHD or UHD output).
0 Kudos
tmat1075
Visitor

Thanks @RokuNB . I had removed ui_resolution, but I'll add it back. 
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

"tmat1075" wrote:
Thanks @RokuNB . I had removed ui_resolution, but I'll add it back. 

Removing ui_resolution implied value of "sd,hd" - meaning that you are promising to manually adjust your coordinates, which can be a royal pain. Given it works for you in other resolutions, i am guessing the right setting for you to put is "ui_resolutions=hd"
0 Kudos