Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PC_Magic
Streaming Star

Catastrophic drop in ad impressions?

Has anyone else experienced a catastrophic drop in ad impressions provided by Roku since December?
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Catastrophic drop in ad impressions?

yes - if by catastrophic you mean something like going to 0.
0 Kudos
PC_Magic
Streaming Star

"destruk" wrote:
yes - if by catastrophic you mean something like going to 0.

Yup.  Any idea why?
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I'm guessing the "Roku Channel".
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
PC_Magic
Streaming Star

"renojim" wrote:
I'm guessing the "Roku Channel".

I would guess that accounts for the general decline, but impressions were fine in Dec, and have dropped to virtually nothing now.  I can't see Roku demand for the Roku channel going up that much.  Granted, historically early Jan slows down, but in our case impressions dropped by more than 95% in a month. 
0 Kudos
Veeta
Visitor

How many channel installs do you have?  I wonder if Roku has enforced a low-water mark for ad impressions from their ad service.
0 Kudos
PC_Magic
Streaming Star

"Veeta" wrote:
How many channel installs do you have?  I wonder if Roku has enforced a low-water mark for ad impressions from their ad service.

Millions.  Volume wasn't an issue.  BTW, because I persisted in trying to get a useful answer from Roku they've now decided to drop my apps from their ad program.  
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

"PC Magic" wrote:
"Veeta" wrote:

Millions.  Volume wasn't an issue.  BTW, because I persisted in trying to get a useful answer from Roku they've now decided to drop my apps from their ad program.  

Just throwing this out there...

There have been issues reported with apps from your company spiking since November. Perhaps this might be a contributing factor?

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=135989 is simply one that mentions your company. Search for your apps on this forum and you'll see what I mean, particularly weather4us. Perhaps someone in your support area has fallen down on the job. You might need to escalate this.

Again, just throwing that out there.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
PC_Magic
Streaming Star

"DBDukes" wrote:
Again, just throwing that out there.

Thanks for that.  I don't check the forum much for tech support.  Customers usually contact us directly.  I followed your suggestion and almost all of the issues were related to a problem we had with the screensaver in Dec.  We fixed it within hours of becoming aware of it, but because it was during the publishing blackout it didn't get published for weeks.  However, we do have the capability to put real-time pop-up msgs in the app and we did so in this case letting users know that a fix was in the works and giving them a private channel they could use until the fix got published.
0 Kudos
Romans_I_XVI
Roku Guru

I had a drop to 0 on one of my channels as well. The weird part is that it was on one of my more popular games, Snake. So the game with more requests was getting 0 fill and other games with less requests were getting fill, low fill but still something.

I'm not sure what it was all about, I personally ended up transitioning to 3rd party ads. Hope things get better for you.
0 Kudos