Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Connect to Roku Box (3.0)

My N1000 box is now upgraded to 3.0 firmware, build 2227.
However, I cannot connect to it to upload my private channel app I am developing.
The box indicates it has an IP of 192.168.2.5.
My laptop is 192.168.2.4.
However, ping does not work -- "ping: sendto: Host is down" multiple attempts... then an occasional "no route to host".

Never saw anything like this with 2.9...

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
YungBlood
Streaming Star

Re: Cannot Connect to Roku Box (3.0)

Did you try re-entering the code to turn on development?
YungBlood

Bringing more fun to Roku!
0 Kudos

Yungblood --

When I go into the "Enable Development Mode" (Home 3x, Up 2x, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right), I see the IP address, ante Developer Mode is on.
I did cycle it off, then on again... (two reboots later)... no diff.

Is that what you meant?
0 Kudos
YungBlood
Streaming Star

That is what I meant... I'm stumped...
YungBlood

Bringing more fun to Roku!
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

Have you tried resetting your TCP stack? Run a cmd prompt as administrator and type (For Windows 7):

netsh interface ipv4 reset

Or for Windows XP:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Then reboot.

If that doesn't work then you could try resetting then reconfiguring your router.
0 Kudos

Well, I'm on a Mac.
It seems there is no equiv for netsh.

I found some references elsewhere that spoke of switching over to a wired ethernet connection, back to wireless, with a reboot in between, to get the TCP stack to clear and get redone.

No worky.

Both my Mac laptop and my Roku box can see the internet, but the Mac laptop cannot see the Roku box.

This has me dead in the water.

Any help is mucho appreciado.

-
Bruce
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"brucerothwell" wrote:
Well, I'm on a Mac.
It seems there is no equiv for netsh.

I found some references elsewhere that spoke of switching over to a wired ethernet connection, back to wireless, with a reboot in between, to get the TCP stack to clear and get redone.

No worky.

Both my Mac laptop and my Roku box can see the internet, but the Mac laptop cannot see the Roku box.

This has me dead in the water.

Any help is mucho appreciado.

-
Bruce
I'm just going to throw some stuff out there: Anything special about your router (could it be isolating the traffic of the two devices), or network? Are both the laptop and roku connecting wirelessly(or wired)? I'm pretty sure the roku will respond to a ping, but you could also try using your browser to connect to http://192.168.2.5:8060 . It should kick back a ssdp xml response (this should work regardless of developer mode being on or off, 8060 is the ECP port on a Roku). If you've already troubleshooted your network and it(and the Mac) has a clean bill of health, a last resort to try is a factory reset of the Roku.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
atheling
Binge Watcher

On a Mac with the networking preference set to "automatic" you can reset a wired connection by unplugging it and plugging it back in. For wireless, you can disable then re-enable "Airport" either through the pull down list under the WiFI icon at the top of your screen or through the preference panel.

That said, if your Mac can see the Internet but not the Roku then the TCP stack on the Mac is probably working just fine. It might be your router. Or it might be a firewall issue. You can turn off the Mac's firewall. Control for that has migrated around but I think most recent Mac OS versions have it in the Sharing preference panel.
0 Kudos

I wanted to report back to eveyone that after trying all I could think, and your suggestions, including resetting the Roku box to "factory defaults", nothing worked.

Except, rebooting the router! For some reason, even though the router could see the Roku device, it would not let me connect to it from my laptop.
Rebooting the brain-dead router fixed it.
0 Kudos
jlfreund
Visitor

"brucerothwell" wrote:
I wanted to report back to eveyone that after trying all I could think, and your suggestions, including resetting the Roku box to "factory defaults", nothing worked.

Except, rebooting the router! For some reason, even though the router could see the Roku device, it would not let me connect to it from my laptop.
Rebooting the brain-dead router fixed it.

I'm having the same issue with my Roku2XS. My mac laptop 192.168.0.100 and Roku 192.168.0.5 can both connect to the internet, but not to each other. I've tried:
    * Opening and port scanning my Roku on 80, 8080, 8060, 8085 and no luck (browser spins for 30s then prints "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 192.168.0.5")
    * Tried accessing those ports from a second Windows 7 laptop
    * Reboot my DLink 300 N+ router (brand new and with no configuration done to it) twice
    * Reboot Roku again after the developer option was enabled. Also confirmed it is still enabled with H3XU2XRLRLR

When I ping the Roku, I get
$ ping 192.168.0.5
PING 192.168.0.5 (192.168.0.5): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Host is down
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
0 Kudos