Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMancuso
Reel Rookie

Can't add a category

I am trying to create a channel and I am stuck at the add a category page. I need to add a custom category, but it will not allow me to. I keep getting "An error was encountered with the form. Please correct the highlighted fields." and there are no highlighted fields. I can't get beyond this step. Please help!

11 REPLIES 11
norcaljohnny
Roku Guru

Re: Can't add a category

Do you have any code you can share? Hard to give advice without knowing what kind of contentNode you are using...ie MarkupGrid, LabelList etc..

0 Kudos
JMancuso
Reel Rookie

I am just trying to add a category through the Roku Developer UI. It asks you to enter a category, so I do and then it just doesn't save it. This is at the top of the page..

Categories

Please define your channels categories. You may add up to 15 categories for your channel. Get more information on categories.

When I click on categories it goes to a page that says "Document not found"

Nothing within this categories page works, so I can not get beyond this point. 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Unfortunately, it's not at all unusual for links in Roku's documentation to be broken.  There's a thread around here someplace where you're supposed to post broken links and sometimes they actually get fixed.

Anyway, does this help?

https://developer.roku.com/docs/direct-publisher/tutorial/categories.md

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Are you trying to use Direct Publisher to build your channel?  If so, you can (and should) define your categories within the Json feed file.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
norcaljohnny
Roku Guru

Oh understood. Are you adding a custom category? Because i believe the category has to be one that is predefined by Roku or else it will fail.

Update: my apologizes the a genre is predefined by Roku not categories.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

You either add a category through the developer portal, or, in your feed file. You should not define them in both places

My test channel uses several custom categories that are defined in my feed file. I did not define them in the portal.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
Faithson

I am having the same issue. Did you figure it out? Seems like its a bug in Roku. It wont let me type any category. 

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

@FaithsonHave you tried defining the categories within your feed file?

0 Kudos
Videoopp
Binge Watcher

The tags from my Vimeo feed show up as options in the "Based on Tags" option, but Roku will not accept any of the tags from my feed.  Very frustrating!

0 Kudos