Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BadgerBoy
Visitor

Can't Find My Roku Channel

So I uploaded a .pkg file to a private channel last night. The verbiage tells me that:

The channel properties associated with your unpublished package will be seen in the Channel Store when the package is published. Please do all your beta testing using the channel code of the unpublished package. When you are happy with your testing, you can click the Submit button to submit your new package for processing by Roku. If your channel is a private channel not using Roku Billing, Roku does not need to approve the channel. So when you click the Submit button, your new package will immediately replace the prior published package. You can share your channel code with your intended Roku Audience. All other channels have to go through Roku approval process. When Roku approves your new package, your new package will immediately replace any prior published package and it will move to the Published state on the right below. You will see your public channel in the Channel Store, and it will be available for all users.
Note: The published package is always assigned the specified vanity channel code in the channel properties (you choose an initial value for this channel code when you first create your channel).

I've searched for it in the streaming channels (is that the "channel store?"), but it does not show up. It doesn't show up in a search through my laptop, or in a search through the Roku on my TV.

How can I find my private channel so I can start testing it?

Thanks in advance for any help that is given.
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can't Find My Roku Channel

Yes, "Streaming Channels" has replaced the "Channel Store". Why is anyone's guess; seems pretty stupid to me since there's quite a lot channels that don't stream anything, but then again I always thought calling them channels was pretty stupid as well. :roll:

Anyway, the answer to your main question is that private channels don't show up in the channel store or "Streaming channels" or whatever ridiculous term they decide to use next. You add them by logging into your Roku account and clicking on Add a Channel. Enter the Vanity Access Code of your private channel. You have to check for a system update or reboot to get the new channel to show up.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
BadgerBoy
Visitor

Thanks for the response!

I've added my private channel using my vanity code on 03/15/2016.

I have rebooted my Roku, and went through Settings> System> System Update and clicked the download button.

It's been over 24 hours, but I'm not seeing it anywhere.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Channel Surfer

PM me the vanity code, and I'll take a look at it on my end.

C. Shawn Smith

*Edit* Also, are you sure you enabled the channel for your particular Roku model number? :mrgreen: You'd be surprised how many people have such a "D'OH!" moment 😉
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
BadgerBoy
Visitor

Thanks. Just sent a PM.

How do I make sure that my channel is enabled for Roku3?

What is the procedure for doing so?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"BadgerBoy" wrote:
How do I make sure that my channel is enabled for Roku3?

There is no such specific setting. If there were, most likely it would be on this page https://owner.roku.com/Developer/Apps/Properties/99999 (replace 99999 with the specific number of your channel). Before there were some setting "Roku3 ONLY" under "Required Features" but they have hidden them now it seems (probably to avoid confusion - using that actually excludes all non-4xxx players!). Still, go over all off your app property pages and see if you missed something, like say which countries it's available in (shouldn't matter but).

Now go to the "Package Submission" page (https://owner.roku.com/Developer/Apps/Packages/99999 - or browse to it from the drop-down menu). On the right side of the screen you will see "Access Code: XXXXX" - that one is actually clickable, you can use to add your submitted channel, do so. Channel should show quickly on your Roku, minutes - not hours or days.

Look carefully when you force system update on the player - does a dialog mentioning your app pop for part of a second and then vanish, every time? If so, you have created a zombie.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:
Yes, "Streaming Channels" has replaced the "Channel Store". Why is anyone's guess; seems pretty stupid to me since there's quite a lot channels that don't stream anything, but then again I always thought calling them channels[/i[ was pretty stupid as well. :roll:

I'll break rank on the use of "channels" - it's rather clever way of referring to apps, given on Roku they'd be mostly about video and everyone understanding what a TV channel is. There are some things RokuCo have done well and should be commended for - the use of "channel" is one of them.

However! Renaming "Channel Store" to "Streaming Channels" was most unwise (if i mince my words). A single word "Store" well conveyed it is a place you find and get things you need. And the smartphones and other streamers already trained consumers about "stores" - "AppStore", "Play Store". So i personally feel "Channel Store" is still the best.

I can guess someone wanted customers to avoid thinking of having to "purchase" things, when most items are free-with-asterisk. However again, the choice of new name does more harm than good - now it's not even clear WTF that menu item is! And the redundancy. "Streaming" channels... to distinguish them from what, "Dry" channels (arroyos / dry creeks)?!

They absolutely wanted a non-"store" name? I am reluctant to suggest one, since under the N.I.H. directive that virtually guarantees it will never be used - but how about "More Channels"? It's not hard to come with a better name - because "Streaming Channels" is so mediocre.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

What makes the use of "Streaming Channels" so asinine is that the Channel Store is still called the Channel Store. The only reference I've found to "Streaming Channels" is as the name of the menu item used to access the Channel Store.

From the Roku web site, What (and where) is the Roku Channel Store?
The Roku Channel Store appears as "Streaming Channels" in the menu to the left of the Roku Home screen.
0 Kudos
BadgerBoy
Visitor

Thanks for your response!

There is no such specific setting. If there were, most likely it would be on this page https://owner.roku.com/Developer/Apps/Properties/99999 (replace 99999 with the specific number of your channel). Before there were some setting "Roku3 ONLY" under "Required Features" but they have hidden them now it seems (probably to avoid confusion - using that actually excludes all non-4xxx players!). Still, go over all off your app property pages and see if you missed something, like say which countries it's available in (shouldn't matter but).

When I do this, and replace the 99999 with my vanity code, and plug in my vanity code in the field that calls for it, it tells me that that vanity code is no longer available, although I believe I've gone through this page before.

Now go to the "Package Submission" page (https://owner.roku.com/Developer/Apps/Packages/99999 - or browse to it from the drop-down menu). On the right side of the screen you will see "Access Code: XXXXX" - that one is actually clickable, you can use to add your submitted channel, do so. Channel should show quickly on your Roku, minutes - not hours or days.

When I do this, and replace the 99999 with my vanity code, nothing comes up except the following error message:

The parameters dictionary contains a null entry for parameter 'id' of non-nullable type 'System.Int32' for method 'System.Web.Mvc.ActionResult Packages(Int32)' in 'Web.Areas.Developer.Controllers.AppsController'. An optional parameter must be a reference type, a nullable type, or be declared as an optional parameter.
Parameter name: parameters

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: The parameters dictionary contains a null entry for parameter 'id' of non-nullable type 'System.Int32' for method 'System.Web.Mvc.ActionResult Packages(Int32)' in 'Web.Areas.Developer.Controllers.AppsController'. An optional parameter must be a reference type, a nullable type, or be declared as an optional parameter.
Parameter name: parameters

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentException: The parameters dictionary contains a null entry for parameter 'id' of non-nullable type 'System.Int32' for method 'System.Web.Mvc.ActionResult Packages(Int32)' in 'Web.Areas.Developer.Controllers.AppsController'. An optional parameter must be a reference type, a nullable type, or be declared as an optional parameter.
Parameter name: parameters]
System.Web.Mvc.ActionDescriptor.ExtractParameterFromDictionary(ParameterInfo parameterInfo, IDictionary`2 parameters, MethodInfo methodInfo) +657
System.Linq.WhereSelectArrayIterator`2.MoveNext() +82
System.Linq.Buffer`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 source) +520
System.Linq.Enumerable.ToArray(IEnumerable`1 source) +103
System.Web.Mvc.ReflectedActionDescriptor.Execute(ControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 parameters) +165
System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethod(ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary`2 parameters) +39
System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass39.<BeginInvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__33() +120
System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass4f.<InvokeActionMethodFilterAsynchronously>b__49() +452
System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass4f.<InvokeActionMethodFilterAsynchronously>b__49() +452
System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass37.<BeginInvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__36(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +15
System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass2a.<BeginInvokeAction>b__20() +33
System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass25.<BeginInvokeAction>b__22(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +240
System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass1d.<BeginExecuteCore>b__18(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +28
System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass4.<MakeVoidDelegate>b__3(IAsyncResult ar) +15
System.Web.Mvc.Controller.EndExecuteCore(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +53
System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass4.<MakeVoidDelegate>b__3(IAsyncResult ar) +15
System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass8.<BeginProcessRequest>b__3(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +42
System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +606
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +288

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.34280

Look carefully when you force system update on the player - does a dialog mentioning your app pop for part of a second and then vanish, every time? If so, you have created a zombie.

I don't think so, but I'll check again. Thanks!
0 Kudos
BadgerBoy
Visitor

Just rebooted my Roku right now, and checked for a system update. There were no updates, but I'm still not seeing my channel anywhere.
0 Kudos