Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emissary35
Level 9

Can't Access Development Mode

I had development mode enabled on all of my Rokus with a channel loaded. Now suddenly that development channel is gone from my list of channels and I am unable to even enter the menu screen that allows you to turn development mode on or off. Going to the web address of the Roku units on a browser will no longer load the page, this is happening on all of my Rokus. What the heck is going on? Did Roku just decide to delete all development channels loaded and turn off the enabled setting on our players? If so this is absolutely unacceptable and I'm getting really fed up with Roku trying to control the players that all of us paid top dollar for. Is this Roku's new policy? Break into everyone's Roku player and Roku account behind their backs and remove and disable things without permission?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Can't Access Development Mode

If you are side-loading unauthorized channels, then they will disable your Developer Mode on the Rokus. It's actually part of the Developer Agreement that you have to sign up for a developer account to access the Developer Mode on the Roku. It's to prevent usage of unauthorized channels that allow piracy. This is all related to the whole Mexico wanting Roku to take a more pro-active role in anti-piracy to be allowed to sell in Mexico. 
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 9

Re: Can't Access Development Mode

"trekkeriii" wrote:
If you are side-loading unauthorized channels, then they will disable your Developer Mode on the Rokus. It's actually part of the Developer Agreement that you have to sign up for a developer account to access the Developer Mode on the Roku. It's to prevent usage of unauthorized channels that allow piracy. This is all related to the whole Mexico wanting Roku to take a more pro-active role in anti-piracy to be allowed to sell in Mexico. 

I'm not using any unauthorized channels all I want is to be able to load My Video Buzz because it is a great interface to access youtube on older Roku's where the official youtube channel is so slow it's virtually unusable. I couldn't care less what Mexico wants, I've been using My Video Buzz for years and now I can't anymore because all Roku cares about is money and selling more products, but not at all about customers who have already paid for Rokus in the US and are using a side loaded channel to be able to use something on an older unit that is too slow. Great company Roku is, I've bought my last Roku product ever.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Can't Access Development Mode

"Emissary35" wrote:
"trekkeriii" wrote:
If you are side-loading unauthorized channels, then they will disable your Developer Mode on the Rokus. It's actually part of the Developer Agreement that you have to sign up for a developer account to access the Developer Mode on the Roku. It's to prevent usage of unauthorized channels that allow piracy. This is all related to the whole Mexico wanting Roku to take a more pro-active role in anti-piracy to be allowed to sell in Mexico. 

I'm not using any unauthorized channels all I want is to be able to load My Video Buzz because it is a great interface to access youtube on older Roku's where the official youtube channel is so slow it's virtually unusable. I couldn't care less what Mexico wants, I've been using My Video Buzz for years and now I can't anymore because all Roku cares about is money and selling more products, but not at all about customers who have already paid for Rokus in the US and are using a side loaded channel to be able to use something on an older unit that is too slow. Great company Roku is, I've bought my last Roku product ever.

Video Buzz actually IS an unauthorized channel. Google does not want it on Roku. 
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
mc510
Level 7

Re: Can't Access Development Mode

Just happened to me too. Smiley Sad  :x   I could be wrong, but as far as I know VideoBuzz is the only app that's distributed with intention to be installed through developer mode ... if correct, then this is probably at YouTube/Google's request, or Roku proactively imagining what YouTube/Google would wish. Okay, I'll accept the claim that VideoBuzz violated the Roku user agreement, and it probably violated some YouTube terms of service too ... but I can't imagine that there were more than a couple of hundred users of VideoBuzz; sometimes it makes sense to turn a blind eye to small scale violations in order to keep peace in the family. This really seems like blasting a mosquito with a bazooka.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Can't Access Development Mode

"mc510" wrote:
Just happened to me too. Smiley Sad  :x   I could be wrong, but as far as I know VideoBuzz is the only app that's distributed with intention to be installed through developer mode ... if correct, then this is probably at YouTube/Google's request, or Roku proactively imagining what YouTube/Google would wish. Okay, I'll accept the claim that VideoBuzz violated the Roku user agreement, and it probably violated some YouTube terms of service too ... but I can't imagine that there were more than a couple of hundred users of VideoBuzz; sometimes it makes sense to turn a blind eye to small scale violations in order to keep peace in the family. This really seems like blasting a mosquito with a bazooka.


Keep peace anong the 200 users, so that those 200 of millions don't get upset? A rule is a rule, and Roku has to follow it. I'd just be happy you kept an unauthorized channel for as long as you did. All good things come to an end, unfortunately.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos