Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lionheart
Visitor

Re: Can Roku Stream MOV Files?

"bbefilms" wrote:
"Lionheart" wrote:
"bbefilms" wrote:

Which codec are you using to create the HD .mov files?

H.264, AAC

How do I find the proper bitrate setting to plug into the simple player code... or does this make any difference? The default is only 1500. I've tried various settings but doesn't help.

My experience has been that 720P HD material produced with the Apple H264 codec doesn't run properly in the Roku player without constant rebuffering, no matter how you specify the bitrates. We downloaded and installed the free x264 codec and used that for all conversions with Compressor (or however you're making your .mov's) and our problems went away. Would strongly advise using this codec if you aren't already.

Thanks a million. I've installed this and tried exporting in iMovie with this codec, settings in the attached PNG.

Roku debug console says this:
---
Displaying video:
Unknown event: 11 msg: Unsupported media format.
play failed: The format is not supported or the media is corrupt.
Closing video screen
---

I'd sure like to get HD running. If anybody has a method that works in iMovie 09 and wants to share specifics, I'd be very appreciative. I have to be doing something wrong here.

For the benefit of others, here's where I found the x.264 codec for OSX:

http://mac-free.com/download/x264-QuickTime-Codec.html

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Lionheart, I'm not very familiar with iMovie, but I'm suspicious about the audio setting. Does "Integer (Little Endian)" mean that it's encoding audio in PCM? That won't work, it should be AAC.

--Mark
0 Kudos
bbefilms
Visitor

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
That won't work, it should be AAC.

Ditto what Mark says; it needs to be set to AAC otherwise it won't play.
0 Kudos
philsoft

Does the DVP support a video bitrate that high? I thought something like 3200 was the max?
0 Kudos
bbefilms
Visitor

"philsoft" wrote:
Does the DVP support a video bitrate that high? I thought something like 3200 was the max?

Good point, that's about twice as high as my max bitrate, but that's mostly constrained by concern about end-users bandwidth (be sure to follow the dev guide regarding av/max bitrates etc. when testing this out). When Roku switches on 1080P in the player which they'll presumably be doing for the Netflix 1080P content later this year the bitrates will need to go appreciably higher.
0 Kudos
Lionheart
Visitor

I'm back to working on our project, and still having troubles with stuttering streams. Per your recommendations, I have installed the x.264 codec and have a huge array of settings. Can anyone share specifics on the optimal settings for encoding a 720p clip using this codec?

Thanks in advance!
😄

Update: Have the buffering issue resolved by using x.264. Would still love to hear any suggestions on optimal settings if anybody minds sharing.
0 Kudos