Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lionheart
Visitor

Can Roku Stream MOV Files?

We've successfully created and customized a channel and can stream content using the example players.

We are using Macs and iMovie's native format is MOV. We'd really like to stream MOV files, rather than converting to MP4.

Does ROKU support streaming MOV format? If so, what are the exact settings in the sample video player code that would allow one to do this? I've tried changing the filetype to MOV, but it's not working.

Anybody help me on this?
Thanks!
😄
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
DeftOne
Visitor

Re: Can Roku Stream MOV Files?

According to the SDK documentation .mov files are supported. Check out Section 3.1 of the RokuDvp-DeveloperGuide.pdf for the particulars on the required encoding settings.
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Netgear WNDR3400 (all Rokus wireless)
25 Mbps
0 Kudos
bcl
Channel Surfer

According to the docs it supports .mov, but remember that is just a container. The content still needs to be H.264
0 Kudos
bbefilms
Visitor

it can and does (it's what we're using)
0 Kudos
Lionheart
Visitor

Thanks everyone... I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. You guys gave me hope to press on!

However.. my HD quality MOV (1280x720) file stops and stutters every 4 secs or so and another little piece streams in. Very annoying. My 960x540 plays smoothly. I tried messing with the bitrate setting, but no luck. Any suggestions on how to get it to pull in the content fast enough to keep up with the player? I'm on a 20mbps fiber network using ethernet cable...

Thanks again!
😄
0 Kudos
bbefilms
Visitor

"Lionheart" wrote:
Thanks everyone... I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. You guys gave me hope to press on!

However.. my HD quality MOV (1280x720) file stops and stutters every 4 secs or so and another little piece streams in. Very annoying. My 960x540 plays smoothly. I tried messing with the bitrate setting, but no luck. Any suggestions on how to get it to pull in the content fast enough to keep up with the player? I'm on a 20mbps fiber network using ethernet cable...

Thanks again!
😄

Which codec are you using to create the HD .mov files?
0 Kudos
Lionheart
Visitor

"bbefilms" wrote:

H.264, AAC

How do I find the proper bitrate setting to plug into the simple player code... or does this make any difference? The default is only 1500. I've tried various settings but doesn't help.

Thanks again!
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

If you run mp4info on the fiile, you can get the average bitrate for the audio and video... Add these two together and set the StreamBitRates to the sum.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
bbefilms
Visitor

"Lionheart" wrote:
"bbefilms" wrote:

H.264, AAC

How do I find the proper bitrate setting to plug into the simple player code... or does this make any difference? The default is only 1500. I've tried various settings but doesn't help.

My experience has been that 720P HD material produced with the Apple H264 codec doesn't run properly in the Roku player without constant rebuffering, no matter how you specify the bitrates. We downloaded and installed the free x264 codec and used that for all conversions with Compressor (or however you're making your .mov's) and our problems went away. Would strongly advise using this codec if you aren't already.
0 Kudos
bcl
Channel Surfer

"RokuKevin" wrote:
If you run mp4info on the fiile, you can get the average bitrate for the audio and video... Add these two together and set the StreamBitRates to the sum.

--Kevin

Oh! Really?! I've just been setting it to the rate of the video. I suppose at lower bitrates it would make more of a difference than at higher rates.
0 Kudos