Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rsromeo
Channel Surfer

CAN A TIMEOUT BE PROGRAMMED??

Hi -

I have a situation where we are streaming Live content but are finding that many viewers leave their Roku streaming all night when they aren't even watching. This is costing a bunch of money for monthly bandwidth which is basically being wasted because their tv is off but the Roku keeps streaming. I'm looking for a way to control this.

Is it possible that after a specified amount of time of no activity on remote, the Roku can pop up a dialog that says click here if you wish to continue watching...and if there is no click in say 60 secs, it bumps them out?

We streamed over 12 TB's last month and found many viewers are doing this. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: CAN A TIMEOUT BE PROGRAMMED??

Sure. Setup an roTimespan and reset (mark) it for any user initiated events (e.g., play, pause, rewind, fast forward, etc). Set a non-zero wait time for your video screen, and check the roTimespan.TotalSeconds() for every "invalid" message. If the total seconds exceeds your defined timeout, pop up the dialog. Set a 60 second (60000 millisecond) wait on the dialog response, and if you get an "invalid" message from that, then stop the stream.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
rsromeo
Channel Surfer

Re: CAN A TIMEOUT BE PROGRAMMED??

thanks a bunch TheEndless - will sure give it a try!! Appreciate it!
0 Kudos