Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pctutor
Visitor

Building channel for my podcast - how to find MRSS feed?

Sorry for my newbieness!
I'm trying to follow the tutorial at:
https://blog.roku.com/developer/tutorial-podcasts
Step 1 is to have your podcast MRSS feed ready, and it gives a link to a "simple feed finder tool" at itunes.so-nik.com but that URL is dead.
How do I find my MRSS feed? Thanks - 
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
pctutor
Visitor

Re: Building channel for my podcast - how to find MRSS feed?

I kind of thought this would be an easy one to answer but I guess it's stumped everyone.  
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

If you already had a working MRSS feed in your previous version of your Roku Channel, then finding it is super easy, barely an inconvenience.  If you are trying to 'steal someone's feed' then it could be difficult.  Try asking your host provider for your podcast as they might be legally required to provide you your feed URL for your content you own and produce.
0 Kudos
pctutor
Visitor

Thanks. My podcast is hosted with Libsyn, and the response from Libsyn Support is that they do not provide or support MRSS feeds. 
I don't have any previous version of any Roku channel. All I have at this point is an audio podcast. I want to convert that to a video format and create a Roku channel for it. In following the steps at https://blog.roku.com/developer/tutorial-podcasts, the very first step is to find my MRSS feed URL. But the "simple feed finder" they included is no longer there. That's where I've hit a dead end so far. I've run a computer business for 20 years, but this stuff is a new area for me.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

You will need to generate your own MRSS Feed if you can't obtain one - Amazon provides a sample here https://creator.amazon.com/documentation/ac/mrss.html#samplemrssfeed .  Otherwise you could build a parser with the Roku SDK to ingest the data using a different structure.  As long as the ingest/parser routine results in data that your channel expects it will work.
0 Kudos
MitchellTR

Edit: This solution requires you to know your basic RSS feed from your hosting provider first.

I host my audio files on SoundCloud and build my feed using the Blubrry plug-in for WordPress. I was able to generate an acceptable MRSS feed by going to FeedBurner, entering the WordPress-generated feed, and ensuring that FeedBurner did NOT insert iTunes tags and inserted Yahoo media tags instead. This gave me exactly what I needed to publish a version of Roku's podcast-player-channel from GitHub. 

0 Kudos