Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rose_cino
Visitor

Brightscript Build Problem?? Missing Manifest?? Help!

I did everything that I was suppose to do right!! (despite the fact that I am a complete newbie when it comes to all of this programming, coding, etc.)
I registered with Roku's developer program, I downloaded the SDK files and instructions. I programmed my Roku (in developer mode) got my I.P address, got my genkey from telnet to get my DEV ID/Password, then Installed the Roku Development Application Installer Packager & Utilities, I downloaded Java 1.7 for java developers, then I installed Eclipse Mars 64 bit for IDE Java Developers, then installed the EMF and DLTK updates on my eclipse, installed the Roku brightscript plugin, changed perspectives to brightscript, started a new project, connected the Roku debug console to my Roku I.P Address..

Now I'm stuck, 😞 😞 I cant even start a project let alone export my projects, connect projects to my Roku box because my Roku Debug Console under the tab "Problems" displays 4 errors and states that there is a Brightscript Build Problem?? For example: "Main manifest 'mm_icon_focus_hd' value is not a valid path to an existing project resource manifest/Roku Channel line 5 BrightScript Build Problem"

and on top of that there are 12 Warnings: "en_US manifest (as well as the main manifest) is missing a recommended 'splash_color' value manifest/Roku Channel/locale/en_US line 1 BrightScript Build Problem"

I don't know what that means or what I did wrong... 😞 :?: Please tell me what the problem is and what I need to do to fix it and how to do it (steps). Or if I need to debug my eclipse or something (I have no clue how to do that lol) Your help would be much appreciated!!
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
sjb64
Roku Guru

Re: Brightscript Build Problem?? Missing Manifest?? Help!

First common question:

Did you zip your directory (your zip file contains one item, the directory), or the contents of the directory (your zip file contains a source directory, an images directory?, and a file named manifest). If you did the former like I first did and several others from what I have seen, you'll see problems like this.

The latter is the way you want to do it, and your zip file should look something like
source <dir>
images <dir>
manifest <file>

And your manifest file should look something like
title=Whatever
subtitle=Whatever whatever does
major_version=1
minor_version=123
build_version=4567
mm_icon_focus_hd=pkg:/images/RokuChannelArt_290x218.png
mm_icon_side_hd=pkg:/images/RokuChannelArt_290x218.png
mm_icon_focus_sd=pkg:/images/RokuChannelArt_214x144.png
mm_icon_side_sd=pkg:/images/RokuChannelArt_214x144.png
hidden=0
splash_screen_sd=pkg:/images/LoadScreen480.jpg
splash_screen_hd=pkg:/images/LoadScreen720.jpg
splash_color=#123456
splash_min_time=0

Hopefully this helps get you started...
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Well, Eclipse automates a lot of stuff, I understand (I've never used it myself - tried, but couldn't get it to cooperate). So you might try some of the basic Roku tutorials that involve doing things manually and zipping up yourself.
0 Kudos
rose_cino
Visitor

I'm sorry, what directory are you referring to? Are you talking about my Roku SDk file or something else? If so, how do you make it look like that? Please be descriptive.

"sjb64" wrote:
First common question:

Did you zip your directory (your zip file contains one item, the directory), or the contents of the directory (your zip file contains a source directory, an images directory?, and a file named manifest). If you did the former like I first did and several others from what I have seen, you'll see problems like this.

The latter is the way you want to do it, and your zip file should look something like
source <dir>
images <dir>
manifest <file>

And your manifest file should look something like
title=Whatever
subtitle=Whatever whatever does
major_version=1
minor_version=123
build_version=4567
mm_icon_focus_hd=pkg:/images/RokuChannelArt_290x218.png
mm_icon_side_hd=pkg:/images/RokuChannelArt_290x218.png
mm_icon_focus_sd=pkg:/images/RokuChannelArt_214x144.png
mm_icon_side_sd=pkg:/images/RokuChannelArt_214x144.png
hidden=0
splash_screen_sd=pkg:/images/LoadScreen480.jpg
splash_screen_hd=pkg:/images/LoadScreen720.jpg
splash_color=#123456
splash_min_time=0

Hopefully this helps get you started...
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Try these:
GOOD TUTORIAL:
http://www.treygourley.com/2012/07/deve ... u-channel/

THREE WAYS TO MAKE "HELLO WORLD", using roPosterScreen, roOneLineDialog, and roMessageDialog
http://blog.roku.com/developer/2011/05/ ... o-world-2/

INTERESTING BLOG:
http://www.subfurther.com/blog/2014/02/ ... rain-dump/

GOOD TUTORIAL FOR BRIGHTSCRIPT PROGRAMMING, lays a foundation:
http://yaketyhack.blogspot.com/2011/05/ ... -1-my.html
0 Kudos