Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Re: BrightScript Draw 2D Emulator (in development)

Yeah, it's a roScreen.  SetMessagePort works. This thing is from 2014, you used to be able to use either ( never that clear on why there were two different ways).
I'll look forward to the RGBA fix.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

"squirreltown" wrote:
Yeah, it's a roScreen.  SetMessagePort works. This thing is from 2014, you used to be able to use either ( never that clear on why there were two different ways).
I'll look forward to the RGBA fix.

I'm almost done with 0.3.0 that will bring .tostr() (and all other intrinsic methods do numeric types) the missing .tokenize() (on strings) and the rgba fix too.
Just to understand better the usage of this parameter, all I ever used it was to make the crossfade effect proposted in the link below, my understanding this parameter only affects the alpha of the image, do you guys use it in other scenarios ?
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=64834&p=437365&hilit=drawobject+crossfade#p437365[/url:...
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

my understanding this parameter only affects the alpha of the image, do you guys use it in other scenarios ?

I use reversed/white graphics, and use it to assign a color in addition to the alpha at runtime. So, I'm using it all the time.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

"squirreltown" wrote:
my understanding this parameter only affects the alpha of the image, do you guys use it in other scenarios ?

I use reversed/white graphics, and use it to assign a color in addition to the alpha at runtime. So, I'm using it all the time.

I understand the use case. I released yesterday v0.3.0 with partiall support of rgba in roScreen.DrawObject() (alpha only), will work on this feature and also add it to roBitmap and roRegion too.
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

Hey @squirreltown and @Komag the new v0.4.0 is released with support for the rgba parameter among other improvements: https://github.com/lvcabral/brs-emu/releases/tag/v0.4.0-emu

The demo website has now some new games (including Retaliate and Pong from Romans I XVI) and my Poker Clock, so the range of functionalities now is really good. I also mocked the Ads SKD object and the roChannelStore component so we don't need to comment out this code from our games.

Let me know (open an issue at github) if you found something missing for your projects, so I can prioritize.

Please notice that some limitation are related to the interpreter (like the @ for XML Atrributes, and the bug with inline if-then-else) so the issues are listed on the original repository. I'm keeping the emulator project synchronized with the original command line interpreter.

squirreltown
Roku Guru

Success! 

I had to comment this out  - m.appy.UpdateLastKeyPressTime() ( gave me the left:invalid error)

Simple screensaver from my Kinetics³ package. The squares are moving, being scaled, and having the color ramped every frame and it runs about 2/3 speed - better than I thought.

Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

That's cool! 

I had to comment that too in my Poker Clock channel, I will add this to the limitations list and implement a mock later of roAppManager.

The performance is heavily affected by the machine power and the amount of tabs and extensions in the browser. 

Marcelo

0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

The desktop version is available for Windows, macOS and Linux, the macOS will come soon

Get it from the latest release:

https://github.com/lvcabral/brs-emu/releases

emulator-desktop-themes.png

cocotower
Roku Guru

I've been watching this thread and I hope to check this out today. I might want to talk to you eventually about your thoughts on whether it's possible to emulate an 8-bit CPU and eventually a vintage 8-bit computer, even if the timing isn't perfect.  I'm also the creator of the Matchbox CoCo FPGA system that clones the TRS-80 CoCo in hardware, and although I know this would be an emulator in BrightScript, I'm currently the best guy for the job at least for my deep knowledge of the computer and CPU.  I really want to make this idea happen.

0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

Hi @cocotower I have the same idea, in my case, as a C64 developer, to have a 6502 based device developed. I was thinking start porting something like the javatari.js (https://javatari.org/) project from Paulo Peccing (by coincidend he is Brazilian like myself).

Let's talk more about this. Are you on the Slack community for Roku developers?

0 Kudos