Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xavier
Visitor

Bookmark position

Hi folks,

I was under the impression that BookmarkPosition allows us to rewind to a position prior to position defined in BookmarkPosition. That does not seem to work and BookmarkPosition behaves just like Playstart.
Any idea what to use to start a video at a given position but still allow user to rewind or start from beginning ? I have tried to use play follow by a seek but with no luck...
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Bookmark position

Your question is a little confusing.  When using PlayStart  and you have it set to a value other than 0, the video starts playing from that specified second value in the video.  Pressing left or right on the remote during playback tosses up a bif file or a position bar and you can scroll to any point forward or back in the video to resume play.  To start from the beginning you'd set PlayStart to 0 or BookmarkPosition to 0/null before starting playback.  It's easier to have a Play from beginning button to do that.  When using the custom video player these base features might be disabled.
0 Kudos
xavier
Visitor

Hi destruk...
Here is info as per ROKU SDK documentation found at link : https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Content+Meta-Data
PlayStart defines the start position of the content, in seconds. The player is not allowed to move to a position prior to this point. Any seek operation prior to this point will be clipped to PlayStart.
And this is working just fine....

BookmarkPostion definition is slightly different :[/font][/color]
Users are allowed to seek to positions prior to BookmarkPostion in the content.[/font][/color]
BookmarkPostion...[/font][/color]
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

I think that page of the documentation is wrong.
If I set PlayStart, and then use the roVideoPlayer it buffers to that point and starts playing, and then if I press left on the remote it allows me to go back in time towards the beginning.  I can start playing from anywhere.  That's how it's always worked for me with video in this case.  Probably it's getting confused if you have both set.  Try setting BookmarkPosition=null before adding the content to the videoplayer.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

BTW - another stupid bug in the Roku firmware -
If you set playstart to a value and also use PlayDuration for roVideoScreen - it doesn't work as expected.  I haven't tested it with roVideoPlayer simply because I didn't want users to be able to rewinding or view more than 2 minutes this way.
ie -
PlayStart=300 '5 minutes
PlayDuration=120 '2 minutes

This should play from minutes 5-7 of the video but it doesn't - it loads then stops playback and returns to the springboard screen.
If you set PlayStart to 300 for 5 minutes and then PlayDuration to 420 for 7 minutes then it works to play minutes 5-7.
0 Kudos
xavier
Visitor

Hi, Thanks for feedback !
0 Kudos