Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emerica
Visitor

Re: Beta Scene Graph Components

"filipkoutsky" wrote:
Hi, I have sent a two PM to RokuShawnS with serial of roku 1 and 3, but in both cases I haven´t got an update.

Can you send me an update?

Thanks Filip

Have patients, same deal here, probably just busy 🙂
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"Emerica" wrote:
Have patients, same deal here, probably just busy 🙂
"Have patients, will heal."

It appears they use some really - and i mean really REALLY - clumsy system of provisioning firmware/authorizations. In my case, 3 weeks + 6 requests @RokuKevin and ... <crickets> still nothing at my end of the rope . (Admittedly my wait is not for fw7-beta - but i think uses the same squeaky machinery behind it.)
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Channel Surfer

Emerica, your info was sent this afternoon ... you should be able to "Check for Update" for the new firmware.

For everyone else, please send me the serial numbers via PM or via email to ssmith@roku.com with the Subject Beta Scene Graph.

I usually submit the serials in bulk by mid-afternoon the following day, if not right away. I've been a bit under the weather this week, so I'm a little slower than I was in previous weeks.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
filipkoutsky
Visitor

Hi I sent it with this subject, but maybe it somwhere droped out.
I have two more question. Is it possible to go back to FW 6.2? I want only test this components, but then I need compatible FW with all normal users (not developers). Do you know when the new FW is availible for normal users?

Thanks for answers Filip
0 Kudos
jul10
Visitor

Hi,
Looking at the documentation, the example shown in the PosterGrid node class doesn't seem to be complete/working. Could you provide a functioning example of this grid?

Thanks,
Julio A.
0 Kudos
Oak-Beard
Visitor

"roberto14" wrote:
I just realised that global scope is not the same for the component and channel, GetGlobalAA() differs in the component.
Well, I can deal with that but the libraries.. for example, to load a library (generalUtils.brs, analytics.brs, ...) it's required to insert <script> tag in every xml component. Is there an easier way to do it? Or to access the other scope?

I talked with a Roku engineer about this a couple weeks ago. He confirmed there are 2 threads – 1 for “the old way” and one for the scene graphs. To implement inter-thread communications and access the other threads scope, he said to use a data field observer. As a test-case I set up an observer to monitor the ‘control’ attribute of an Animation node that gets started when the user presses the OK button. I create an observer for the field in both the main thread and the scene-graph thread. The code in Main.brs:

scene = screen.CreateScene("sgTest")
m.animn = scene.findNode("playingAnimation")
print("animn.control="+m.animn.control)
m.animn.ObserveField("control", "changedSGraph")

and the code in the component XML’s init() function:

m.animn = m.top.findNode("playingAnimation")
print("animn.control="+m.animn.control)
m.animn.ObserveField("control", "changedSGraph")

When the animation is started, the only observer function triggered is the one in the scene-graph thread. While trying to figure out what is happening, I came across the following in the SDK documentation:

The callback function you write to handle the node field change event must be included in the component <script> element, and manipulate declared objects within the component.

So I’m thinking this is why the main thread’s observer is not invoked, even though I can access the animation’s control field from that thread (which I confirmed via the use of the debugger).
0 Kudos
afreeman
Visitor

Is this program still open to beta developers or closed?

Thanks

-Andrei
0 Kudos
sudo97
Visitor

Hello, I've got problems. I'm using EPGGrid for my application and I need to add program for my channels, each program requires PLAYSTART in time data-type. How should it look? Could it be DateTime as "2015-09-30 00:00:00" or smth different?
0 Kudos
sjb64
Roku Guru

Beginner SceneGraph question...

A message I posted yesterday was answered by TheEndless (regarding threading) and he pointed me to look at the SceneGraph system, which I had only glimpsed at till now. It reminds me of the WPF and old Silverlight methods of XML (XAML in these systems) to define your interface, and then associated code to manipulate it. Being a very old school programmer, and a bit set in my ways, I have never been comfortable with this paradigm. So, I would rather keep control in Brightscript, instantiate and nest my own nodes, and avoid the XML approach altogether. From what I'm seeing in the docs this is entirely possible, even if rather sparsely documented.

My question is this: barring a debate on why I don't just get on board with newer methods, is there any driving reason (or requirement) to use the XML approach, things I won't be able to do without it, or things that would make doing it in code a nightmare or dead end?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

"sjb64" wrote:
My question is this: barring a debate on why I don't just get on board with newer methods, is there any driving reason (or requirement) to use the XML approach, things I won't be able to do without it, or things that would make doing it in code a nightmare or dead end?

Yes, you can do that however, you lose the advantage of multi-threading, so you can expect, if your code is at all complex, for it to exhibit substandard performance as various things will block for screen refresh, which may slow down your code execution significantly.

- Joel
0 Kudos