Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jkard
Visitor

Background Image

Hey Gang,

What is the best way to do a background image? I would like to put one on a Poster and Springboard screen, and am not really finding a conclusive way to do it. I keep seeing mention of the roImageCanvas, but not sure if the discussions (viewtopic.php?f=34&t=43667&p=297578&hilit=image#p297578) are doing specifically what I need.

What is the "proper" or "best" method for putting an image behind a Poster and Springboard screen? Can it be done without creating a whole customized canvas?

Thanks
Jay
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Background Image

"jkard" wrote:
What is the best way to do a background image? I would like to put one on a Poster and Springboard screen, and am not really finding a conclusive way to do it. I keep seeing mention of the roImageCanvas, but not sure if the discussions (viewtopic.php?f=34&t=43667&p=297578&hilit=image#p297578) are doing specifically what I need.

What is the "proper" or "best" method for putting an image behind a Poster and Springboard screen? Can it be done without creating a whole customized canvas?

It's not possible to change the background of a roPosterScreen or a roSpringboardScreen to anything other than a solid color. To accomplish something like that, you would have to build your own screen type from scratch using roImageCanvas (or roScreen on 3.0 and up).
0 Kudos
jkard
Visitor

Thanks Chris,

What is the roScreen? I'm not seeing it referenced in my 3.0 documentation. I looked in the Compontent Reference and the Brightscript 3.0 Reference and it's not mentioned.

Any pointers?

Thanks
J
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"jkard" wrote:
What is the roScreen? I'm not seeing it referenced in my 3.0 documentation. I looked in the Compontent Reference and the Brightscript 3.0 Reference and it's not mentioned.

Assuming you have the 3.0 SDK (viewtopic.php?f=34&t=39272), it's section 11 of the BrightScript Reference.
0 Kudos
jkard
Visitor

Got it, thanks!
0 Kudos
koshermetal
Visitor

"RokuChris" wrote:
It's not possible to change the background of a roPosterScreen or a roSpringboardScreen to anything other than a solid color.

This is what I'm trying to figure out. How do I change the background(s) from gray to black? I'm used to working with HTML so my eyes are trained to look for things like <background color="000000">

Anyone know how I can change the default background color? I'm using the videoplayer example and SDK 29

Thanks!
Free 24/7 Metal radio via web or smartphone
www.koshermetal.com
0 Kudos
brocker
Visitor

To change the background color you only need to set the "BackgroundColor" of the roAppManager. For example

app = CreateObject("roAppManager")
theme = CreateObject("roAssociativeArray")
theme.BackgroundColor = "#000000"
app.SetTheme(theme)

Most of the example projects have this code set in the InitTheme or InitializeTheme methods.

Hope that helps!
Bud
0 Kudos
koshermetal
Visitor

Thanks Bud! I will try that out.
Free 24/7 Metal radio via web or smartphone
www.koshermetal.com
0 Kudos