Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brysonhyte
Visitor

Autostart application on boot

I'm currently working with a Roku XR and developing a flickr-style application. Is it possible to enable a user to select an option in my applicaiton (or device config) to autostart my application instead of going to the main menu?

Second, is it possible to progmatically remove the other main menu channels?
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Visitor

Re: Autostart application on boot

Doubt it can do that. I know for sure that Netflix can't be removed for contractual reasons, so I doubt they will let anyone remove the other channels.
0 Kudos
bcl
Channel Surfer

Not to mention that it would annoy the hell out of the users!
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

We do not allow developers to change the channel lineup programmatically. Users have this control though. They can remove any channel they'd like to through the channel store.

channel store->My Channels->Desired channel->remove channel.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
Burkhardi
Visitor

"bcl" wrote:
Not to mention that it would annoy the hell out of the users!

It would be an option...
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
0 Kudos
Burkhardi
Visitor

"RokuKevin" wrote:
We do not allow developers to change the channel lineup programmatically. Users have this control though. They can remove any channel they'd like to through the channel store.

channel store->My Channels->Desired channel->remove channel.

--Kevin

Hi Kevin,
So there is no code in the bootstrap where it looks at the USB slot and it there is something there to mount and said file is the right file name that it would auto.exe it?

The Roku PhotoBridge had something like this and if a CF card was in the players CF slot on boot, the system would look at the slot during boot and if it has a card it and it was the right file name it would run it. It was used for updating the firmware if you didn't have an internet connection or for running custom scripts.

I have mine setup this way to mount a swap file upon boot and I could also have it run a certain app if I wanted it to (wrote that into the script).

Anyway, just curious, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

There is no way to use the USB port at this time.

We will enable some limited uses of the port in a future release.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
krzykat
Visitor

Is it possible for when the Roku starts up to "automatically" begin a certain channel / app via programming or some other method? Similar to let's say an "Autoexec.bat" file used to do?

I've got the latest ROKU version.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

This has been asked a few times and the answer has always been "No". I believe the Brightsign product has been suggested as a possible alternative.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos