Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iQueen
Visitor

Automation

Hi,

We are developing applications for Roku devices and we are looking for automation tools available to test our products.
I found an article in sky developers explaining about automation testing on Roku but unfortunately the article was removed from the web site.

Quotes from the article:
“Roku recently started exposing it’s DOM, they refer to it as the scene graph and all it is, is an XML representation of the onscreen layout. It’s not exposed by default, you need to install a special token on your box in order to get access but once you’ve done this the scene graph is available to download and query.”

I am wondering what is the token I need to install in order to query the scene graph xml.

Appreciate any help...
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Automation

Sounds like a bunch of malarkey - how old is that post?
My guess is that it was written before RSG was officially released a year ago and perhaps one had to install token-blessing. Nowadays (since fw 7? everyone is on 7.2 - 7.5 now) RSG is openly available to the unwashed masses.

Note what was said is also wrong on refering to RSG as "exposing the DOM of screen representation" - that is not the case, it does not apply to the screens from SDK1 (roScreen, roImageCanvas and ro... everything else except roSgScreen). Rather, RSG (aka SDK2) is a new - and by magnitude harder - way to write UI for Roku. You don't use RSG as automation hooks for the programs - rather you write in it. Start with Scene Graph XML Guide and Scene Graph XML Tutorial if you want to learn RSG - just consider yourself warned wrapping your head around it won't be easy.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: Automation

"iQueen" wrote:
We are developing applications for Roku devices and we are looking for automation tools available to test our products.

Roku does have something called a Unit Testing Framework (BETA), which they describe as a "Tool for automating and testing Roku channels": https://github.com/rokudev/unit-testing-framework

I have no idea what it does or who uses it or what they do with it, but you might want to take a look.
0 Kudos