Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EngoTom
Visitor

Auto load channel on boot and disable IR option

We’re developing a channel for a client where they are using it for in-house for signage. Yes we are aware of the BrightSign product 🙂

Is it possible to have a channel load automatically upon system boot? If not then this is a feature request please.

Also the ability to disable IR as we can still programmatically get to the remote functions through telnet.

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
KennyJ
Roku Guru

Re: Auto load channel on boot and disable IR option

I doubt that feature would ever be added. Roku wouldn't want a channel to be able to take over the entire Roku. The channels are all "sandboxed"
0 Kudos
EngoTom
Visitor

If in he main "Systems Settings" the user could choose the channel to launch upon boot this would allow them to select a channel or set it to None.
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

Please see the BrightSign product line for digital signage solutions... It uses BrightScript as well, and allows you to auto load channels etc...

http://www.brightsign.biz/

We have no plans to disable the IR or auto load channels on the Roku box.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
jellygreen
Visitor

"RokuKevin" wrote:
Please see the BrightSign product line for digital signage solutions... It uses BrightScript as well, and allows you to auto load channels etc...

http://www.brightsign.biz/

We have no plans to disable the IR or auto load channels on the Roku box.

--Kevin

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but is your lack of plans due to technical or business reasons? I ask only because I mentioned this same exact topic in the wrong forum section. The two threads I mentioned this in the Roku Streaming Player General Discussion section were:

With a retail list price of $399 for a BrightSign HD210, a Roku XD|S can be purchased for a fourth of the price of the least expensive network-capable BrightSign. In addition, there is a built in IR-port along with an included remote control. Auto-loading of channels would seem to be a minor concession to developers/end-users who like the feature-set and price of the Roku XD|S but would like to use them in some ways that they would use a BrightSign unit.

Ideally, this would not be a permanent mode nor would it be hard to disable. Just as one is able to reorder the channel icons on the main menu, an additional option could be added to have a given channel start automatically when the device is powered on.

If this a business decision, could Roku offer a BrightSign XD|S exactly as-is now but with auto-loading for $299? I realize this seems a bit silly but you've made a decent product with the Roku Streaming Players. H.264 and HLS are current technologies, MPEG-2 transport stream files and the somewhat complex syncing model are dated to a certain extent. Making a channel that could playback H.264 encoded files via HLS and off of a USB drive on a XD|S would be wonderful but being able to auto-load is somewhat crucial, which is most likely why Roku has hesitated on adding that functionality.

My solution to the desire to disable the IR-port would be to place a piece of black electrical tape over the IR-port.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

I haven't done anything with SSDP/external control, but if it can query what's currently running, you could use some external server to check that the correct channel is running and run it if not. If it can't query the current running channel, that seems like a good feature to request.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"kbenson" wrote:
I haven't done anything with SSDP/external control, but if it can query what's currently running, you could use some external server to check that the correct channel is running and run it if not. If it can't query the current running channel, that seems like a good feature to request.

The current version of ECP cannot query what channel is running, only what channels are installed.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

Sorry, the Roku Streaming Player products are focused on consumer in-home applications. I wouldn't expect delivery of features targeted at other applications.

Patrick
0 Kudos
jellygreen
Visitor

"RokuPatrick" wrote:
Sorry, the Roku Streaming Player products are focused on consumer in-home applications. I wouldn't expect delivery of features targeted at other applications.

Patrick

Thank you for your reply Patrick. However, you pretty much reiterated what was said before and what I acknowledged in my own reply.

Here's an alternate question, what is the likelihood of some of the features of the Roku Streaming Player products coming to the BrightSign product line?
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

"jellygreen" wrote:
"RokuPatrick" wrote:

Patrick

Thank you for your reply Patrick. However, you pretty much reiterated what was said before and what I acknowledged in my own reply.

Here's an alternate question, what is the likelihood of some of the features of the Roku Streaming Player products coming to the BrightSign product line?

BrightSign is a separate company with a different roadmap and development, even if there's a common heritage, so that's a question for them.
0 Kudos