Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Visitor

Attention Developers: 2.8 Functionality Check

Hi everyone, I know there have been some reports of various playback issues with the 2.8 software. The good news is that this seems to affect a very small percentage of our users, but of course, that isn't of much comfort when it's your channel that's affected. To that end, we'd like to ask your help in characterizing the issues and reproducing them.

To that end, please perform a manual update to 2.8, if you haven't already. Then, please check your channel (or for that matter any other channel you want to test). If you encounter a problem, please post here or send me an email (pellis@roku.com) with the channel, the failure, and the steps to reproduce (specific titles).

We are working to have fixes for these issues released asap.

Patrick
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

Re: Attention Developers: 2.8 Functionality Check

thank you patrick

1.) One simple thing to add is that i noticed my sound effects stop playing for some reason when i click around the channel lineup. then after shutting off and on the sound effects (clicking) comes back
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
0 Kudos
vaxace
Binge Watcher

To that end, please perform a manual update to 2.8, if you haven't already.

This may be a dumb question, but I can't find any info anywhere.
How do I do a manual update of my firmware?
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"vaxace" wrote:
To that end, please perform a manual update to 2.8, if you haven't already.

This may be a dumb question, but I can't find any info anywhere.
How do I do a manual update of my firmware?

In the settings, I believe under player info, you can check for a new firmware release. If found, it automatically updates.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
vaxace
Binge Watcher

Ok. Color me confused :?
Does this mean that 2.8 has been officially released?
If so, I seem to have missed any sort of announcement.
0 Kudos
cangel0612
Visitor

Check the Announcement in the Roku Streaming Player General Discussion forum... it's the first one listed.
Roku HD
HDTV 720p HDMI 37"
Cox Internet Premier
No cable/sat service :)

Roku Private Channel List: http://almostaccurate.com/roku/
0 Kudos

Khan Academy appears to show all videos with an incorrect aspect ratio under 2.8 on my hd tv. It looks like 1:1, it should be 4:3. I also have some new (unreleased) hd content that is encoded at 1280x720, that also shows up squished in 1:1 format. It should display in 16:9.

I tried rebooting in SD mode, I get the same behavior. I have N1100 hardware.
0 Kudos
Arwen
Channel Surfer

I've got a movie I encoded last week, (Nov 3rd). It worked fine
under 2.7 firmware, proper aspect ratio and all. It's a wide
screen movie, more that 16:9 so I expected and got black bars
at the top and bottom.

I use either Roksbox or USB media channel to view it, both have
the same problem.

After the 2.8 firmware update, it got squished. Very wide black
vertical bars and the video is portrait sized.

Here is the command I used to generate the 720p file;
HandBrakeCLI --no-dvdnav --cpu 8 --large-file \
--input /dev/sr0 --longest \
--audio 2 --arate 48 \
--optimize --format mp4 --vb 6000 \
--width 1280 --keep-display-aspect --deinterlace \
--output MyMovie_720p.mp4

Here's the hardware setup, (HDMI for video, Optical for audio). The Pioneer simply
does switching and pass-through with video, (no overlays).

Roku XR HDMI -> Pioneer VSX-519V AVR HDMI -> ViewSonic 24" 1080p monitor HDMI
Roku XR Optical -> Pioneer VSX-519V AVR

Let me know if you need further information.
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
0 Kudos
Hexamon

Under 2.7 I used to have mp4 clips which worked fine. They are no loner working now. I did some digging on this and finally got them working. It has something to do with the interleaving setting in the clips. I am starting to suspect there's something weird going on with the way the player deals with the interleaving settings of the mp4 file. In particular, given the file 00.mp4 (which is not working), I generated a new file from it using "MP4Box -cat" the only thing I changed was the interleaving setting: "MP4Box -inter 1000 -cat 00.mp4 -new 20.mp4". This worked fine, 20.mp4 played without errors. I then used an interleaving setting of 500 (ms), this is a default setting and the problem reappeared. After playing around with this setting, I figured out that some of them work and some don't. For example, anything from 450 to 950 range doesn't work, 1000-1400 works, 1500-1900 doesn't. It seems to work better on high (several thousand ms) settings. I am currently setting it to 2000 ms.

I don't think this is the end of it though. The problem probably has something to do with the network latency, while it seems to work fine in my local network, it might behave differently from a remote host. I can't test that right now but I'll do it (test from a remote host) in a day or two. It will be interesting to see the results.

Here's the most important part - I don't believe this problem existed prior to the Roku 2.8 firmware update. In fact, I am quite sure it didn't exist because I can no longer play the files (since Nov 09, 2010) I used to be able to play. I wanted to positively confirm this. In order to do so, I needed to downgrade to the previous version. I don't think there is a "legit" way to do so. I tried resetting the box but it seems to either not reset the firmware version or update the firmware upon the first initialization. Either case, I couldn't get back to a release prior to 2.8. If someone could let me know how to do so, I'd really appreciate it.

This circles me back to the original question - is there a way to find out more (from the logs, special undocumented features, etc.) when the following error is encountered?

"play failed: An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected"

If I could determine why changing those interleaving settings in an MP4 container causes this problem, I could be able to open a meaningful bug report.

NOTE: I can't post any channel or title names at this point because I haven't published any channels (public or private) yet. Sorry...
0 Kudos
peeper
Visitor

It's great to see that you guys are on top of this problem. Would it be that crazy to go back to 2.7 until all of the problems have been rectified? I know my Roku experience has taken a hit from the update. Slow buffering times, channels not playing at all, audio missing from time to time (rectified by pressing the repeat button). I was planning on buying two more boxes but won't now.

When you say "The good news is that this seems to affect a very small percentage of our users" what exactly is this based on? Are you basing this solely on feedback here? I don't think that's a great barometer when you have 500,000 units out there. The percentage of users who actually post or call support is minimal. I would suggest that this problem is more widespread. Is every user accessing multiple channels or are they more than likely mainly using the Roku for Netflix (which appears to be unaffected by the update for the most part).

I'm really hopeful that this will be resolved the Roku is a great idea at a great price and when it works it's fantastic. With so many new and established options I'd hate to see this product slide downward. Thanks for reading.
0 Kudos