Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Estebanicho
Visitor

Ask channel users for ratings using Roku SDK or API

I have been looking for a while (on the Roku SDK docs, on this forum, on Stackoverflow, and on the web), whether the Roku SDK has any APIs or components that would channel developers to ask channel users for ratings. So far, I have found no one else discussing this topic directly (perhaps I am not using the correct search terms: roku sdk channel application ratings, and multiple other combinations and permutations.)

To be explicit, what I am trying to do (in my Scene Graph application, using no deprecated components) is to ask the user for a rating of my channel after they have used it at least a couple of times. What I would find useful is to embed some official Roku SDK component, or invoke some official API, inside my application; if that isn't available, perhaps use a button that will take the user to the Roku Channel Store where they can set their rating freely; or any alternative to that effect, replicating what developers do in their applications for mobile devices.

Obviously, I do not want to interfere in any way with the honest ratings of my channel users. Perhaps something like this is not available, or even discussed, because asking for ratings is not something that is normally done for applications in the Roku ecosystem?
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Re: Ask channel users for ratings using Roku SDK or API

You would want to have a button that says "Rate this Channel!", then use ECP ( It's in the SDK docs ) to have the button link to your channel in the channel store, where the user can set the rating. I don't think there's any other way to access the ratings.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
Estebanicho
Visitor

Re: Ask channel users for ratings using Roku SDK or API

Thanks, squirreltown. Launching the channel page on the Channel Store does work with External Control Protocol (ECP) via a POST request from another machine on the network. Since I want my channel to do the same, I will have to issue the ECP command from within the channel itself.
0 Kudos