Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
speechles
Roku Guru

Re: Approving the channel as public

Rather than continue to debate.

Do you notice the response you have gotten thus far? I find it offensive and rude that you continue this conversation like it deserves a reply. Being that I don't mind replying here I am again, replying.

Your post about a channel you made 4 years ago still being in limbo has an answer in and of itself that any rational person would've already surmised themselves. Now that you have your reply you wanted by mention my nick and have called me rude and abusive can we go about our respective day? It isn't worth all this effort. Don't you have patients that you could be tending? Perhaps one of those apps you do in 24 hours needs doing? I apologize if this sounds rude. It is supposed to be funny. Not at your expense either. I am just trying to understand and am confused. Sorry.
0 Kudos
DrAlex
Visitor

Speechles, I agree, that there's no need to continue the debate, so yes, let's go our respective ways. 

It's puzzling that after you've had your fill of calling me names and insulting me,  you actually provided some useful information and a link about how the process works. Thank you for that part, even though the delivery of your help leaves lots to be desired. I do not understand your desire to launch a big unwarranted personal attack on me before providing this information.

No, I don't find your jokes rude, but I would not be the only one to find your previous posts rude.

Patients... no, I am not a medical doctor, 'Dr' comes from the PhD in Computer Science. 

Since you're trying to understand, my app manages the content of the Direct Publisher channels, and generates the feeds in JSON (for Roku) and XML (for Amazon Fire TV).
My old Brightscript app manages a whole bunch of XML files (one for each category), and I created it when Direct Publisher did not exist. Converting the channel to Direct Publisher is certainly an option - but there are lots of videos, it would mean creating all the thumbnail images again, which is slow and tedious (until I finish the software that'll do it for me).
Dr Alex Davidovic
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

DrAlex, I guess we owe you an apology of sorts since it seems you are a real person and not a fake spammer which we see a lot of. You have to see it from our point of view:
- You show up here with a total of 3 posts in your history plus one more when starting this thread (spammer red flag #1), 
- a link that points to selling software promising awesome easy to make 1 day Roku channels that will make a person rich with advertising dollars (spammer red flag #2), 
- a post that talks about submitting a channel FOUR YEARS AGO and patiently waiting for it to be approved (odd red flag #3), 
- and some slightly broken English (common enough with legitimate people, but also partial spammer red-flag #4).
It really is remarkable that you seem to be a real person after all that. There is a HUGE rift between your apparent total lack of understanding of how publishing a Roku channel works and the grand claims of your software promising top level expertise in that area (along with cheesy 3D box art common with spam). Now that you've removed your signature link, it doesn't look nearly as bad, but still seems a bit fishy to wait around for 4 years. It just doesn't add up under normal circumstances. So you really can't blame us. I say "us" because I think speechles was basically just saying what we were all thinking but were too polite to say out loud, with some sarcasm and clever rudeness mixed in which spammers generally deserve because they are the scum of the earth.

But anyway, apologies, and if you decide to stick around and actually learn some real Roku stuff, welcome to the forums. 🙂
0 Kudos
speechles
Roku Guru

Komag is correct. There was no ill will. I do apologize that your SDKA no longer works. Direct Publisher is simply an XML you throw at Roku. It ingests it and spits out a channel. You can control a few things but most everything has to be hosted on the web. You can't embed objects in to render they have to be hosted on a url. The other side of Direct Publisher is they all look the same. They all work the same. They all act the same. So you are in sea of similarity which is both a good and bad thing. It all depends on how you want to produce your content on Roku. If the star of the show is your content people will overlook the fact it is just a Direct Publisher app. It all depends on how you want users to interact with your content. If you want full control choose RSGA and learn scene graph XML with brightscript. It has a learning curve but it isn't as steep as most people imagine. Roku puts all the SDK info up to make use of what fields go where and how to interact with things. Either way you decide to go like Komag said you fit the criteria of someone with bad intentions. If your intentions are purely good. The sir please take my apologies. These things are judgement calls. Sometimes people won't outright say what they feel. Sometimes I will.. lol

Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way. It is all good in this hood. 
/me is wearing a hoodie. It's cold in the house atm and too lazy/cheap to turn on the heat. The day will warm up the house soon enough. California weather is supposed to be hot but quite the opposite right now. Have fun whichever way you choose to go. The point is don't linger on what other people say. What we think doesn't matter really. We are just some guys who like coding on Roku and chatting to each other on their forum. It isn't rock throwing and we purposely are trying to actively abuse and disparage you. Sorry I chose that way to go. But lately when push comes to shove. Shoving is required. Once again apologies sir. 🙂
0 Kudos
StevenEsq2
Visitor

I seem to recall it took only a couple of weeks to get our public channel approved and that included feedback asking us to make some minor changes.  It was surprisingly pretty quick.
Cheers,
Steven
0 Kudos