Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wrestling_Unplu
Binge Watcher

Applacation Package (Public Channel)

I am stuck on createing my channel I don't know what Applacation Package is where can I find and is there a certain Applacation Package I use for my channel...Thank You

Brian
0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
MSGreg
Visitor

Re: Applacation Package (Public Channel)

There are several good tutorials around, but the basic concepts and a walkthrough are given in the Channel Packaging and Publishing guide, especially section 3.0 Packaging Applications.
0 Kudos
Wrestling_Unplu
Binge Watcher

but where and how do I get download the Genkey

Brian
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Follow rthe directions on the linked page - Genkey is a built-in program on the roku you already have.
0 Kudos
Wrestling_Unplu
Binge Watcher

So its telling to hit browse and find the applacation zip file thats a image,Right
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

On the installer page where you see browse, you are browsing to select the file to upload. The file to upload is the zipped channel application code you want to load from your computer into the Roku box.
0 Kudos
MSGreg
Visitor

destruk is right. One thing that confused me early on was "what file do I upload?"

You upload a zip file that contains the manifest at its root, and will also likely contain folders such as images/ and source/

Zip that folder (again, the one with manifest in the root) using a tool such as 7-zip on windows. Then upload that file to your Roku box using the Developer Web Page on your Roku Streaming Player. This action is called "side-loading" your application.

Once your application is side-loaded (aka "loaded") into your Roku, again use the developer web page to then download the .pkg file from your Roku. That .pkg file is what you upload to the Roku web site to make your channel available to others. The package you upload is generated the same way whether you are uploading for a beta period, a private channel, a public channel, or a paid channel.
0 Kudos
Wrestling_Unplu
Binge Watcher

There is not one...is this a video...what is it....Sorry I am new at this stuff

Brian
0 Kudos
MSGreg
Visitor

Back up one step:

What are you trying to do and what do you have right now?

Seems like you have a single video file, and you want to play it on your Roku device? Do you want to share that and other videos with other people?
0 Kudos
Wrestling_Unplu
Binge Watcher

I am trying to create a public channel..I did some searching and came across to Manifest Apps I tryed to install them won't let me...This what its telling me Application Received: 548 bytes stored.

Install Failure: Unzip failed. Invalid or corrupt zip archive. Unloading
0 Kudos