Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App SDK for the Roku, what apps would you create?

If there were an App SDK and App Store for the Roku, what apps would you create? Just pretend the Roku was a remote control iPad, and imagine what you could do then write it down here.
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
KennyJ
Roku Guru

Re: App SDK for the Roku, what apps would you create?

"kelly.j.anderson" wrote:
If there were an App SDK and App Store for the Roku, what apps would you create? Just pretend the Roku was a remote control iPad, and imagine what you could do then write it down here.

Define App SDK and App Store?
0 Kudos

App SDK: A software development kit that allows small applications to be created. Apple coined the term App when they released the SDK for the iPhone. You use the iPhone app SDK to create Apps for the iPhone.

App: and Application generally of relatively small size that is delivered by an integrated "App Store" for use on a specific device.

for an example of apps and how one would use them check that apple app store http://www.apple.com/iphone/apps-for-iphone/

the difference here would be that this would all be for Roku. So you would use the Roku App SDK, to create Apps that could be downloaded from the Roku app store.
0 Kudos

I would create a weather app, much like the weather channel app on the iPhone and iPad. A weather app would allow me to access weather information much faster that waiting for a weather video to get to what I wanted. I would have an animated background that displayed the current weather conditions, and would allow me to scroll left and right to see the conditions change hour by our, so i could visualize how the days weather will be. It would also have an option to view a 10 day forecast, see animated weather maps with different layers that could be turned on and off.
0 Kudos
nowhereman
Visitor

App SDK: A software development kit that allows small applications to be created. Apple coined the term App when they released the SDK for the iPhone. You use the iPhone app SDK to create Apps for the iPhone.

App: and Application generally of relatively small size that is delivered by an integrated "App Store" for use on a specific device.

The Roku DVP already has both these things (Channels and Channel Store). There's already a weather channel too (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26450&start=0)
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix
0 Kudos
KennyJ
Roku Guru

"nowhereman" wrote:

The Roku DVP already has both these things (Channels and Channel Store). There's already a weather channel too (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26450&start=0)

That's why I asked.
0 Kudos
hammerpocket
Visitor

Apple coined the term App when they released the SDK for the iPhone.

Apple is certainly an innovator in smart phone apps and the built-in app store concept, but let's not rewrite history. The term "app" was in use long before the iPhone App Store.
0 Kudos

I was attempting to get people to think bigger. To imagine if the Roku SDK were capable of doing as much as the iPhone SDK. Sure there are channels and a channel store but when you compare what an app on my iPhone can do to what a channel on my Roku can do there is a vast difference between the two. What if there were animations in the poster screens, what if we were not limited in the locations of interactive objects, what if we had access to openGL. What if you could generate real time, data driven graphics and animations.
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

I was attempting to get people to think bigger. To imagine if the Roku SDK were capable of doing as much as the iPhone SDK. Sure there are channels and a channel store but when you compare what an app on my iPhone can do to what a channel on my Roku can do there is a vast difference between the two. What if there were animations in the poster screens, what if we were not limited in the locations of interactive objects, what if we had access to openGL. What if you could generate real time, data driven graphics and animations.

I attemped to get people to think a little bigger as well with a post regarding the possibilities something like Android on the Roku would bring (App Market,etc) as Android is already ported to the same chipset as the ROku uses.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=27659

I got shot down - told to go away and hide 🙂

Personally it would be a GREAT advancemen - if Roku doesnt move away from their embedded linux/brightscript interface Sony, Samsung and others will make them irrelevent with Adroid based TV's
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
KennyJ
Roku Guru

"dellsweig" wrote:

I attemped to get people to think a little bigger as well with a post regarding the possibilities something like Android on the Roku would bring (App Market,etc) as Android is already ported to the same chipset as the ROku uses.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=27659

I got shot down - told to go away and hide 🙂

Personally it would be a GREAT advancemen - if Roku doesnt move away from their embedded linux/brightscript interface Sony, Samsung and others will make them irrelevent with Adroid based TV's

The questions both boil down to: What if the Roku was not the Roku. Wouldn't that be cool?

How are people supposed to answer that? What if the Roku was the iPhone? Or what if the Roku was GoogleTV?
Cool, I guess.
0 Kudos